"jan -feb 2006 now Oct 2012" South Africa by kenHuocj
South Africa Travel Guide: 11,761 reviews and 27,778 photos
just had an offspring visiting our country of birth
he stayed with this school buddy in one of the secure villages South of the Administrative City - Pretoria, he smiles when he talks about the 7000+ sq ft or 700 sn metres under roof,
but that is the iceberg factor of the RS, opposite polarities, the very visible and what many, self included want to void.
Growth of shopping malls, new car models, cleanliness and orderly lifestyles that appears to be continuation from WorldCup 2010 - Football-Soccer
time for a visit from me soon
April 27th, 1994.
a Public Holiday for celebrating the first official day of celebration,
Nelson Madela was to be the first elected President of South Africa;
having dropped spouse and girls who were involved in some flag waving for the many dignitaries driving from the presidential grounds to the Union Buildings,
i walked up to one of the accesss roads to see a few of the Presidents and Prime Ministers drive by ,including Gadaffi, Castro and Arafat, quite fascinating to see the real persons, albeit through glass of their limousines.
on the lower lawns, amongst many real SOUTH AFRICANS, me included, we enjoyed on the big screen, the handover of power from the Apartheid to a new democratically elected government.
mixxed thoughts. mixed views...
but very nostalgic . . . .wish i had more photos but the mental imagesof Uhuru are strong and lasting . ... . .
a week of celebration for a remarkable PERSON
see also my Homepage and Travelogue below
and remember ~ The Nobel Peace Prize 1993 ~ "for their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa"
Every South African, irrespective of where they live cannot be unmoved by Madiba
Bridge in Egoli
Mail & Guardian
Speical Sunday Times report
from the BBC
and a few relevant quotes courtesy of Sunday Times
"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."
- from Nelson Mandela's statement from the dock at the opening of the defence case in the Rivonia Trial, Pretoria Supreme Court, 20 April 1964.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us."
"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society. If needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die for."
"I left prison more informed that when I went in. And the more informed you are, the less arrogant and aggressive you are."
"I will use the rest of my life to help the poor overcome the problems confronting them--poverty is the greatest challenge facing humanity."
"If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner."
"Only free men can negotiate; prisoners cannot enter into contracts. Your freedom and mine cannot be separated."
"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find ways in which you yourself have altered."
"When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat."
"I learned to have the patience to listen when people put forward their views, even if I think those views are wrong."
"A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special."
- Pros:a country - very diverse, challenging, mind boggling
- Cons:Once you get AFRICANatitis - once visited, always wanting to return ;-)))
- In a nutshell:Cricket , rugby, brandewijn, aids, "ICEBERG" demographics
You'll enjoy yourselves in Cape Town this week ;-))) Suday sept 24th, Heritage Day in South Africa, some 500... more travel advice
APARTHEID a dreaded word - means Legislated Racial Discrimination especially for those who experienced it from the wrong... more travel advice
- See All Every home is a restaurant
- See All AIR : by many International...
- See All Is it Fanagalo ???
kenHuocj's Related Pages
South Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A world in one country!"
- "A peek into a great country"
- "SUNNY SOUTH AFRICA not at the moment its raining"
- "South Africa Road Trip"
- "South Africa"
- "South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!"
- "The Splendour of South Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Africa
- Hotels in South Africa
- Transportation in South Africa
- Nightlife in South Africa
- Restaurants in South Africa
- Shopping in South Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in South Africa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in South Africa
- 144 Reviews
- 400 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to South Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Africa
- Posted in Travel Glasgow Forum "Re: trip to Japan "
- Commented on one of lotharscheer's South Africa travel pages
- updated a South Africa Travel Page "jan -feb 2006 now Oct 2012"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunshine encapsulated in Dried Fruits"
- Wrote a Review Unusual Blogs on SA in South Africa Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 46 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pretoria Intro, 37 reviews, 76 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos, 6 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 8 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Orleans Intro, 19 reviews, 56 photos
- Cederberg Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Africa Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
Top South Africa hotels
- Cape Town Hotels
- 2631 Reviews - 6062 Photos
- Johannesburg Hotels
- 1062 Reviews - 2176 Photos
- Durban Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 844 Photos
- Pretoria Hotels
- 394 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Port Elizabeth Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Sun City Hotels
- 311 Reviews - 834 Photos
- East London Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Clarens Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Umhlanga Rocks Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Knysna Hotels
- 166 Reviews - 328 Photos
- Nelspruit Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 44 Photos
- Skukuza Hotels
- 9 Hotels
- Oudtshoorn Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Hluhluwe Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Pietermaritzburg Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 48 Photos