"Birthdays, Elections , Harvesting" Ottawa by kenHuocj

Ottawa Travel Guide: 1,820 reviews and 4,524 photos

Music to the ears and eyes

Oscar Peterson the famed Jazz Pianist born in Montreal is aptly recognised in the National Capital Region a few steps fro Parliament . For busriders on the Transit System along Albert at Elgin, i.e. SW corner of NAC- National Art Centre, sun or snow the man is there in front pf his piano, it is said to be the most photographed sculpture by tourists.
Until the LRT officially opens in 2018, i , for one, will enjoy waving to him or hum his Hymm to Freedom as the bus passes by.
Hidden for days until June 30th, 2010 when Queen Elizabeth II Unveiled the masterpiece
Paul Lauzo's Blog with You Tube links of the free concert outdoors has many photos but i too will have a review

Elections Oct 19th, 2015

It has been announced, the leaders are in their buses rolling across the country canvassing for votes,
my expectations, a minority Government. the world economy is so unstable, the elecetorate will not want a majority government at this stage.
. . . . . . . . .
With the National Parliament in this city, we have most countries with seats in the United Nations represented here, I am contemplating a travelogue of the different Embassy/High Commissions Buildings which are not as spectacular in other cities, but many are grand old residences of Ottawa in years gone by.

PM Harper's head tax apology on behalf of the Government

thanks to our Member of Parliament i was able to be present with a few head tax payers, their families and off spring at a historic closing speech in the House of Commons;

Having been exposed ,directly to Legislated Discrimination in the southern hemisphere before coming to Canada; I feel for those who were more emotionally moved.

The Last ceremonial Spike of the Railway was brought to Ottawa by Ralph Lung Kee Lee, 106

Soldier shot at Canadian War Memorial- Weds Oct 22

I was in Kitchener ON when over the CBC News on computer did we hear about the Shooting at the National War Memorial, followed by the gunman making his way into the Lobby of Parliament , where he was killed.
Interactive timeline from Macleans Magazine online
The double shooting kept most Canadians on tenterhooks following the news, as was the world media.

• Pros:a city of museums, greenery and more, friendly too
  • Cons:always hoping for Political maturity and less partisan governing
  • In a nutshell:A MUST visit for all Canadians and visitors
  • Last visit to Ottawa: Oct 2014
  • Intro Updated Aug 27, 2015

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Hi, Ken! Thanks for your interesting comprehensive page about Ottawa! I am sure I would have enjoyed my visit there....

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Hullo Victor, it Needs a huge revision and new material, too cold this week, maybe next month ;-)))

• hunterV's Profile Photo
      Jan 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Ken, I feel the same, I always revise my pages and - can you imagine?- often find and correct different mistakes and update the information and pictures.....

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Fascinating travel pages on Ottawa! Your Winterlude 2013 photographs are certainly amazing and so are the photographs of the Parliament, Locks and Chateau Laurier from the restaurant. You have certainly created excellent restaurant tips. We especially love your mouth-watering Vietnamese restaurants' photographs and tips. Thanks for sharing these wonderful travel pages. ~ho & pang

• hopang's Profile Photo
      Jan 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Hi Ken, Happy New Year to you too! ~ho & pang

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Tried Fu River on Carling - not worth the trip - we must meet in January for some nibbles ;-p

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Ken, xie xie for visiting my Westlake Village pages. Breaking bread with you in Ottawa would be nice. Maybe in May. Do you know of the old Golden Palace in Ottawa? Enjoyed Chicken so gai there. Cannot find it in my area. lol

May 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM

oh yes, Urologist gave a a reasonably clean bill of health, even arranged a wine tasting of 7 under $20 SAFrican cape wines - i'll message you the wines tasted ;-)))

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
      May 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Great news Ken. Best of health to you. :-)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Deli restaurant tips! Happy birthday to you and like a Chinese pot of teah: unending best wishes!

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Ken, ur page is with full of useful tips and nice photos.Bora

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Hi Ken - Lovely tour of Ottawa w/you - your photo of fall is really great!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Good that Ottawa has so many biking routes, and a place to hire a bicycle near the Chateau Laurier Hotel. Also I think I would like the Canadian Canoe Museum, since I used to do a lot of canoeing when I was younger.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Hi Ken, thanks for stopping by my Pamplona page. I hope you have a great experience doing the Camino. Karl

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Excellent page about your home-city! Thank you for sharing!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Hi Ken and tx for visits. Chopsticks or bagels (or both), I'll definitely say Hi properly next time I'm in Ottawa. Cheers, John.

“What is essential is invisible to the eye - A de Saint-Exupery”

Badges & Stats in Ottawa