"Jo'Burg - City of Gold - UFA 2010 Worldcup Finals" Johannesburg by kenHuocj
Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,096 reviews and 2,286 photos
The FIFA 2010 Worldcup us over, as always, many more people know about South Africa
Jo'Burg / Egoli the commercial capital of South Africa, though it has shifted further north to Rosebank, Sandton and Randburg, the old CBD is being revitalised in its historical context - notably around the cultural developments in the Newtown /Oriental Plaza hub .
the new link bridge to of 284m from Bertha street in Braamfontein over the Railway yards to West st in the south is a new landmark for the Johannesburg of the century after the discovery of Gold.
the aerial photo towards nN-E shows Hillbrow and JHB international airport on the horizon.
Braamfontein with buildings of the 50/60s face the railway lines.
see map and photos in Tavelogue
see >> %L[www.mandelabridge.co.za also travelogue 'new Braamfontein -Newtown link']Mandela Bridge%L*
Many will remember President Mandela in his Springbok Rugby Jersey when South Africa won the Rugby World Cup. Invictus is a film released last year to relive the occasion
will he be wearing this #3, when to 2010 Football World Cup kicks off ???
" Former South Africa president Nelson Mandela has asked for Britain's support in their bid to host theFIFA 2010 Worldcup
Johannesburg the Commercial and industrial hub,
yet it is a contrast and contradiction,
north and south
or first and third world living side by side
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Water - Africa's scarcest resource
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It is estimated that half the people in 25 countries in sub-Saharan Africa will not have access to drinkable water by 2025.
Bringing proper sanitation would significantly reduce diseases such as cholera.
- Pros:An international City, vibrant , dynamic and challenging ! ! !
- Cons:the north & south divide is widening and poverty is on increase
- In a nutshell:UN Earth Summit aka WSSD being held there NOW ! ! !
Cemetaries ~ Begraafplaas ~ Churchyards Braamfontein, Brixton, Langlaagte, Westpark. From a family viewpoint,... more travel advice
for too many years, a poor academic student at Wits U, but i sure received a fine all round education, not just a... more travel advice
- See All South African Cuisine
- See All WINE Tasting for 4 nights
- See All Bruma Lake Flea Market
- Not Sandton nor Melville but NEWTOWN
kenHuocj's Related Pages
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's really not as bad as you've been told!"
- "The Fast Life , Johannesburg"
- "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
- "Believe it or not, this is a great city"
- "A brief visit to Johannesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Hotels in Johannesburg
- Transportation in Johannesburg
- Nightlife in Johannesburg
- Restaurants in Johannesburg
- Shopping in Johannesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Johannesburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johannesburg
- 21 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johannesburg
- Posted in Travel Victoria Forum "Re: BEST Fish'n'Chip restaurant?"
- Commented on one of junecorlett's Johannesburg tips
- Wrote a Review Cemetaries and History go hand in Hand in Johannesburg Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cemetaries and History go hand in Hand"
- created a Johannesburg Travelogue "Memories from my youth"
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 50 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pretoria Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orleans Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 10 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cederberg Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue