"16 June 1976 - Youth Day" Top 5 Page for this destination Soweto by kenHuocj
Soweto Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 135 photos
Wherever a South African is in the world,
irrespective of Race or Creed
born on , before or after 16 June 1976
this is a day when any mention of what happened before and after this memorable photo by Photo journalist Sam Mzima
of Antoinette Piterson sister of Hector
being carried by School mate Mbuyisa
MUST reflect of the negativeeffects,
on almost 99.99%
on those affected by the Aprtheid legislation
implemented and ruthlessly or coveniently
used by many, especially Whites
ntably between the years of 1900  till 1995 
n 1963, the name Soweto (SOuth WEstern TOwnship) was officially adopted for the sprawling township that now occupied what had been the farms of Doornkop, Klipriviersoog, Diepkloof, Klipspruit and Vogelstruisfontein.
Soweto remains a city of some 3 million people,
known to many worldwide,
recognied yearly by all South Africans
Where i was that day i do not remember,
i do remember the many projects
especially trying to relaunch the Jaycees
-Junior Chmaber of Commerce,
that was represented at the 1977 Johannesburg JCI World Congress
but boycotted by all third world nation JCI members
then later on ,
attempts to do more,
regretably to no avail,
must did my memory bank and misplaced files for the names etcetera
the quickest and best
never mind that state of repair or
lengths of bloudraad galvanised wire used to keep it together
it gets one from a to z efficiently
Bara Hospital was and probably still is one of the busiest and biggest
hospitals in the SOuthern Hemisphere
many of the bestter surgeons worldwide
who had intern time there,
will atest to the frustrations , challenges and sterling
emergency wards procedures
- In a nutshell:The neglected outskirt City south on Joburg that is polars APART from Sandton
international brand names in the past, like those in the american clicks /movies ala amerika more travel advice
Regina Mundi Catholic Church in Soweto served mutiple puorpses, other than being a plave of worship, it was and is a... more travel advice
kenHuocj's Related Pages
Soweto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "16 June 1976 - Youth Day"
- "Soweto - not what we expected"
- "1 Brief View of Life in Soweto"
- "Don't take the tour bus!!"
- "SOuth WEst TOwnship ~ Soweto"
- "Soweto - South Africa's child"
- "Wow, what an experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Soweto
- Hotels in Soweto
- Transportation in Soweto
- Nightlife in Soweto
- Restaurants in Soweto
- Warnings and Dangers in Soweto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Soweto
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Soweto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Soweto
Photos in SowetoSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 54 reviews, 158 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 35 reviews, 85 photos, 7 travelogues
- Pretoria Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 32 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Orleans Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 10 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cederberg Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue