"Alluring capital of Languedoc-Roussillion region" Montpellier by kenHuocj
Montpellier Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 618 photos
I had complete the Camino Frances from St Jean pied de port to Santiago de Compostela, and the reward was to visit my student friend/gourmand Richard and wife Kristine in Montpellier, for food and wine.
i was duly informed that i'd join them on the regular Sunday outing ~ it was to be a good hike in the Hérault Valley and Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert
In 1998, the outstanding universal value of the pilgrim routes to St Jacques de Compostela has been recognized by the inclusion of the "Chemins de St Jacques de Compostela in France" on the World Heritage List by UNESCO .
"The route Via Tolosana or Arles route to Saint Jacques de Compostela crosses the Hérault Valley . It runs between scrubland and forest, through the gorges of the Herault to reach the Abbey Gellone .
On his return incognito to Montpellier he was arrested as a spy (by orders of his own uncle) and thrown into prison, where he languished five years and died on 16 August 1327, without revealing his name, to avoid worldly glory.
The townspeople recognized him as well by his birthmark; he was soon canonized in the popular mind, and a great church erected in veneration.
"In 1289, a bull of Pope Nicolas IV establishes a Studium Generale (legal education, civil and canon, medicine and arts), assigned to the University of Montpellier with a status equal to the largest, as Bologna or Paris. The students come from afar to listen in a city renowned masters open to the influences of Arab and Jewish scholars. By Cami Roumieu , pilgrims walking to Santiago flock too."
from the City's official website
The seven century old building is still used today, a good vibes inside, pity no time to tour and get more information
- Pros:a city of graceful harmony
- Cons:did not notice any
- In a nutshell:a university city with mediterranean clinate
kenHuocj's Related Pages
Montpellier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montpellier and surroundings"
- "The Secret World of Montpellier"
- "sandravdp's new Montpellier Page"
- "Montpellier, South of France"
- "My place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montpellier
- Hotels in Montpellier
- Transportation in Montpellier
- Nightlife in Montpellier
- Restaurants in Montpellier
- Shopping in Montpellier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montpellier
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Montpellier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montpellier
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 50 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Pretoria Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 31 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orleans Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canada Intro, 10 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 7 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cederberg Intro, 10 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue