">> a very laid back lo wan village " Ilha de Coloane by ukirsari
Ilha de Coloane Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 47 photos
visit coloane [or lo wan in cantonese] village brought my memory back into childhood in 80s. i love to read book series entitled the famous five [by enid blyton]. it's about travel experiences and solves the mysteries of 4 teenagers and companied by a dog. sometimes they're visit places or destinations with very unique names like smuggler's top and devil's rock.
the history of coloane i'm reading by the book made my curiousity rise up, just like my feeling whenever i read the famous five book series :)
long time ago, coloane becomes a base of pirates who hide out in the caves and cliffs and awaiting cargo and trading ships from ghuangzhou [china mainland] and macau.
but coloane village nowadays ... for me is a very laid back place. a fishermen village with serene and tranquil travessas [lanes], cobblestones streets, small compact town and 'home' of catholican church saint francis xavier . built as an honour for him as the 16th century missioner on the way to macau and japan.
and another 'mission' for me to visit coloane village, what else if not about culinary trip. there's a very famous portuguese natas so called 'egg tart' can be found here, in lord stow's bakery. this mini custard tart already famous throughout asia and have chains in korea, japan and philippines.
my visit to its bakery shop and cafe added with something emotional feeling, since mr andrew stow, the owner and creator of this very delicious egg tart just passed away a night before i reach coloane [october 26th 2006]. may he rest in peace and i was glad already try his very famous natas. i bought a tee-shirt of "lord stow's bakery" for an unforgetable memory about this man with his brilliant creation called egg tart.
- In a nutshell:a hectic-free village with delicious egg tart
in fishermen's village you can see the whole process of making dried-salted fish. and then they hang them after wrapped... more travel advice
in lord stow's pastelaria, you can find manykind of home-made puff pastry and juices for take-away. pasteis de nata or... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Ilha de Coloane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ">> a very laid back lo wan village "
- "Coloane Island"
- "Coloane Island"
- "Coloane Village - the heart of Coloane"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha de Coloane
- Transportation in Ilha de Coloane
- Restaurants in Ilha de Coloane
- Shopping in Ilha de Coloane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha de Coloane
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Ilha de Coloane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha de Coloane
Photos in Ilha de ColoaneSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos