"malacca, a smal historical city" Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka by ukirsari
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,847 reviews and 4,882 photos
As month changing by month
Completing a year and goes by
Every souls will back
To the highest place as it should be
~ a Toltec poem ~
It does any relation between [old] Malacca with this Toltec poem? Nope. But I like to remember this luna-anno-dio-fuente whenever my sneakers leave the footprints on top of St. Paul's hill. A gorgeous statue of St. Francis Xavier without his right hand standing there, meanwhile the ruins of St. Paul's Church on his background. How old the histories written there, as the old stones telling thousand stories about its past. Like a church changing the function, from a place of the worshippers, to a gunpowder store! Everybody can learn about 'mir' [Russian word for peace] here. Or in Porta de Santiago which known as A' Famosa after I stepped down St. Paul's hill. Other, happened in St. John's hill. A private chapel changing into a fortress.
And the other hand, a miracle can be seen through the red bricks around Dutch Square. Christ Church , the Stadthuys [claimed as the oldest Dutch building in Asia] and red tower clock truely far from wars. Or whenever entering Chinatown at the river bank of Malacca River, the old buildings in Peranakan style along Jonker Street [Junk Street] and Heeren Street [now Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock] are waving greetings. Welcome to the history of Strait Chinese-born since past centuries ago.
All of these history keep alive nowadays in Malacca, as I address it simply luna-anno-dio-fuente. I love to be here and let the time frozen ....
During my trip in Malacca 2004, I'd been visiting:
~ Christ Church, Stadthuys, clock tower of Malacca, Victoria Regina Fountain and Dutch Square
~ St. Paul's Hill, the ruins of St. Paul's Church [built by a Portuguese Captain Duarte Coelho], the statue of St. Francis Xavier, the Dutch Graveyard and war memorial dedicated to British officers and soldiers who died in Naning War [1831-1832], Porta de Santiago - A' Famosa, Muzium Malaysia and replica of Malacca's Sultanate wooden Palace
~ Jonker Street [Junk Street and now known as Jalan Hang Jebat], Baba and Nyonya Heritage Museum, historical Hotel Puri, Indian Temple Sri Poyyatha Vinayagar Moorthi which dedicated to the deity of Ganesha, Kampung Kling's Mosque [one of the oldest in the country], Cheng Hoon Teng's Temple and Malacca River
~ St. Francis Xavier's Church  built by a Frenchman, Reverend Farve
~ St. Peter's Church  built by the Portuguese
~ Maritime Museum, a tall-ship replica constructed after Flora De La Mar, a Portuguese ship which sank off the Coast of Malacca in her way sailing to Portugal
~ Portuguese Square for Portuguese-Malay-Peranakan delicacies
~ China Hill, Sam Po Kong Temple which dedicated to Admiral Cheng Ho and the poisonous well
~ Kuala Linggi Fort, a Dutch Fort situated at Bukit Supai [Sepoy's Hill], 49 km from Malacca city on the route to Port Dickson
~ Hang Tuah's well and old mosque in Kampung Duyong
~ Kampung Hulu Mosque  by Dato Shamsudin
~ St. John's Hill and the fortress ruins. It was used to be a private Portuguese chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist
- In a nutshell:sweating but worth for visit :)
i remember the very first time hearing my parents talking about "masakan peranakan" or strait born chinese meals when... more travel advice
The place where Eurasian [Portuguese colonists] live. There are so many seafood stalls and cool for hang-out during... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 41 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Photos in MelakaSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos