"Parijs van Java" Top 5 Page for this destination Bandung by ukirsari
Bandung Travel Guide: 228 reviews and 540 photos
tinggalkan cerita tentang kita
akan tiada lagi
semua sepi di hati
ada cerita tentang aku dan dia
dan kita bersama
saat dulu kala
ada cerita tentang masa yang indah
saat kita berduka
saat kita tertawa
[and times goes by
leaving a story 'bout us
there won't be hearing your laugh anymore
to erase all the silentness in my heart
there's a story 'bout me and him
and we're together for long time ago
there's a story 'bout beautiful moments
when we're sad and when we're laugh]
[Performed by Peterpan, lyrics and song: Ariel, taken from their first album: Taman Langit/sky garden]
* Picture is about me and the personels of Peterpan, after a nice --and fun-- interview at Jakarta, 2003. Thanks so much, Guys. Thanks a lot, Ariel "Yes @rie, we have a same name." *
Bandung is the capital city of West Java Province (Jawa Barat) with population over than 2 millions. Known as Kota Kembang or 'Flower City'. In our history, this city was very popular among Dutch. Because the beauty of the city, they're addressed her 'Parijs van Java'.
Situated 180 km south of Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia, Bandung is approximately 800 meters above sea level and the weather is cooler comparing with Jakarta, or even Buitenzorg (Bogor). Freezing atmosphere thoughout the year, with Mount Burangrang, Mount Papandayan and Mount Tangkuban Perahu around. And here, we can find many plantations of tea and coffee. Because its weather, this city have many mountain resorts in Lembang, meanwhile, at Tangkuban Perahu, we can find sulfur fumes.
The story about Bandung begin at 1809 when Governor General H.W. Daendels (Dutch) made The Grote Postweg (Great Post Road) to connected Bandung-Cirebon-Jakarta, as a chain of military defences against British Colonial. It's also the time when titled 'Kota Kembang' and Parijs van Java become very popular.
The most heroic story about Bandung happened at 1946, called BANDUNG LAUTAN API or Bandung Ocean on Fire. According the return of Colonial Dutch in Indonesia, the citizen created a very dramatic action. They chose to burning the city. Then moving to the southern of the hill. And they created an anthem, very patriotic with title 'Halo Halo Bandung'. It's a promise to the motherland in the future, against the Dutch colonialism.
Today, Bandung is a busy city. Even pace of this city is slower than Jakarta and Surabaya. Many students continuing their university graduates here --we can comparing this with Yogyakarta, 'City of Students'. The most I like to underlining Bandung is about her cool weather, the green of plantations, less polution than megapolitan Jakarta, old buildings, delicious food and snacks. That makes her becomes my favorite place for weekend. Sometimes I forget that Bandung is situated in Indonesia, because the buildings and its weather.
So, wilujeung sumping (Sundanese language for 'welcome') to Bumi Parahiyangan (another name for Bandung, taken from Sundanese).
- In a nutshell:the feeling is like ... 'moving jakarta' on weekend, since many jakartans spending their weekend here :)
First it's a hawker stall, then becomes a small resto. Situated nearby NHI [Tourism and Hotel Insitute in Bandung] and... more travel advice
This is one of Bandung's old streets which missed by old Dutch people who lived or visited this city about 1920s -... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Bandung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BANDUNG - THE HEART OF TATAR SUNDA"
- "Finally...the Bandung trip!"
- "Kota Bandung, the great new City in West Java"
- "Parijs van Java"
- "Bandung - The Flower City"
- "Bandung 2007"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bandung
- Hotels in Bandung
- Transportation in Bandung
- Nightlife in Bandung
- Restaurants in Bandung
- Shopping in Bandung
- Warnings and Dangers in Bandung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bandung
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 57 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Bandung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bandung
Photos in BandungSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos