"BUITENZORG" Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor by ukirsari
Bogor Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 266 photos
The name 'Bogor' is given by local lingo to replaced Buitenzorg (boi'tnzorkh). In Dutch, it means 'free from care'. Situated on the foot of two volcanoes, at West Java --nearby Jakarta, Bogor is a highland resort with agricultural research center named Kebun Raya (Great Garden or Botanischer Garten), which established 1817. In the garden, we can find Summer Palace, a presidential country palace, formerly used by the Dutch governors.
Then about Botanischer Garten or Botanical Garden, the name is given by Casper Georg Carl Reinwardt (Germany) at 1817 --first director of this garden. He's studied about natural sciences, with specializing in botany and chemistry. He collects plants and seeds from other parts of Indonesia, approximately 900 living plants were introduced in Kebun Raya. Then Sir Stamford Raffles as Governor of Java (1811-1816) changed the layout as an English-style landscaped garden. Also added a monument in memory of Lady Olivia Marianne --his beloved wife, who died in 1814.
The uniques facts about name 'Buitenzorg', I got from several references in the library. We can find this name as:
* Name of a hotel in Valkenburg, a famous place in the southern part of Netherland.
* Name of a freighter; USS Buitenzorg which launched at 1916 from Vlissengen, Netherland and transferred to the Navy the following day, assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service as delivered general cargo.
* Name of a Dutch steel steamship which sank in the Sound of Mull (1941) on the way from Calcutta to Dundee, after running on Eilean Rubha an Ridire.
Speaking about Buitenzorg, something that I always remember ... it's a hometown of my beloved cousins twins Yonna and Yoga. Hang out during the day with them on Kebun Raya, find old buildings and taking pictures as one of our hobbies, taste the delicious food then sitting at the terrace in the evening, accompany by home-made pie, brownies and tea make us so happy. Ignoring the time just passing by ....
Yonna and Yoga, I miss you so much, wherever you are .... Sob, I am counting the days when we're together again!
It's a traditional one dish meal, contains of tauge, tofu, noodles, rice cake, celery and topping with oncom (fermented... more travel advice
Unyil is very well known television puppet movie serie for kids in 1980's. And the name 'unyil' means 'mini', 'small' or... more travel advice
- See All A nice hotel at Cipanas and before...
- Sundanese lingo, many FO and city of...
- Roaring touring cars at Sentul Circuit
- Different than Jakarta!
- Japanese Train
ukirsari's Related Pages
Bogor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "B O G O R"
- "Welcome to Bogor, The Rain City"
- "Istana Bogor"
- "Bogor south of Jakarta"
- "BOTANICAL GARDENandWHITE SPOTTED DEER"
- "Harley and Pie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bogor
- Hotels in Bogor
- Transportation in Bogor
- Nightlife in Bogor
- Restaurants in Bogor
- Shopping in Bogor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bogor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bogor
- 23 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Bogor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogor
Photos in BogorSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos