">>from rice barn to buffalo shaped houses" Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi by ukirsari
Bukittinggi Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 276 photos
Many people say; Bukittinggi is the heart of west Sumatra. Well, I found that statement unarguably since I fall in love with this place at the first sight. Not only the clocktower, but also the scenic panorama and the climate. Since it’s about 900 m up of sea level, it’s feel quite cool when the nightfall.
Bukittinggi [also known as Kota Gadang or Kota Jam Gadang or the Big Clock Town] becomes my reason to ‘escape’ from Padang immediately. “Why?” my travel-mate asking me, didn’t understand with my decision. “Is it because Padang is a beach city-harbour-hot and busy city, just like your hometown at the east of Java?”
No ... this highland ‘just’ seduces me with scenic panorama. And the other reason, we can easily reach several destination from Bukittinggi ~ such as Harau Valley, Tabing Patah, Lake Maninjau, Lake Singkarak, Batusangkar, Padangpanjang and Pandai Sikat.
So? We just repacking soon after landed at Tabing Airport, Padang then heading to the north via Pariaman. Thanks to Dadet and Rossy for their hospitality plus ... their “nice story” about haunted houses which built at the area of old Kerkhof [cemetery during Dutch occupation] nearby Pariaman. We reach Bukittinggi --the big clock town Big Ben look-alike-- safe and sound around 3 o’clock early morning. And directly to the main attraction there: the clocktower!!!
Bukittinggi [means literally ‘top of the valley’] is known worldwide since Perang Padri [the Padri War, 1821 – 1837]. The Dutch soldiers were very difficult to take this strategic city from the local heroes. Then they make a fortress called “Fort de Kock”. With the hilltop position like this city, they’re more easier to controlling the movement of Minangkabau rebels [read as Indonesian patriots].
And now, facing to the recent Fort de Kock ... to be honest, as an old buildings lover, I feel disappointed. Since it’s became a modern park and zoo. There nothing left for something called ‘fort’ ~ truely different compared with Martello Tower [Bidadari Island ~ Thousand Islands] or the ruins at Kelor Island [also group of Thousand Islands].
- Cons:just one made us sad: orangutans in the cages :(
- In a nutshell:green, serene, beautiful, laid back
to explore the hilly areas of bukittinggi, you can hire the horse cart. please do bargain before you take it and give... more travel advice
minangkabauan delicacies known as "volcano" or "sangat pedas" among indonesian culinary [the others are: batak food and... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Bukittinggi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The volcanic heart of Sumatra"
- ">>from rice barn to buffalo shaped houses"
- "Street in this Mountainous City"
- "BUKIT TINGGI - A HILL TOWN"
- "Bukittinggi - The heart of the highlands"
- "Bukittinggi Page"
- "Bukittinggi - High Hill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukittinggi
- Hotels in Bukittinggi
- Transportation in Bukittinggi
- Nightlife in Bukittinggi
- Restaurants in Bukittinggi
- Shopping in Bukittinggi
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukittinggi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bukittinggi
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Bukittinggi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukittinggi
Photos in BukittinggiSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos