"sonde ada suanggi ;)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kupang by ukirsari

Malole simalole ita nusale malole

Bolelebo lanah Timor lelebo
Baik tidak baik tanah Timor lebin baik
Baik tidak baik tanah Timor lebin baik

wake up early in the morning and listening my mum is singing 'Bolelebo', a Timorese folk song is .... really represent my feeling at that moment. about people who live by the ocean. by the mini-archipelago called east nusa tenggara [group of lesser sunda islands] which have colourful and vibrant scenes of life.

and how about kupang, the capital city of west timor, part of east nusa tenggara, the closest neighbour of timor leste? quite the same. the song 'Bolelebo' still linger in my mind.

dry, hot, sweating but worth a visit. and me and my beloved mum were really enjoy our getaway. thanks for your company, mum! i love you so much :)

in this page i would like to say thanks for vt member elva [elva-4], a native timorese who gave some useful info. then to my close friend yasinta "aishwarya daflo" evangelista pawe dae to whom i 're-adjust' my ability in talking using 'eastern language' before i fly to kupang.

off to pulau semau and pulau kera

"this land .... long time ago, they have 'suanggi' ...." one of the boat crew telling me politely with a very soft tone, bit whispering me.
"whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!" i can not hide my expression being hear his explaination. not about i don't know what is that. but the opposite. i know this word very well [since i was raise up in the eastern part of indonesia, at the moluccas to be exact], last time i hear about this word was ... 20 years ago! that's about curses and witches!
"oh, mademoiselle ... don't take it something seriously. now ... sonde ada itu suanggi!" his smiles calm me down.
and in the end, mum and i are really enjoy our island trips.

palm suiker

the way my mum saying "palm sugar" is quite funny for me. yes, since she talks in dutch and unfortunately, i am not good in this section [of lingo]. but above at all, we do like this morning activity: going to the local markets. buy this and that, check this and that price and finally .... take palm suiker a.k.a palm sugar as sweets or candy :)

• In a nutshell:dry but promising land of east nusa tenggara
  • Last visit to Kupang: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2013

• halikowski's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 6:31 AM

Would be interesting to know more about this fort /get better pictures. Also the Dutch church from the outside. Stefan

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 11:24 PM

absolutely beautiful sunsets. thanks for sharing @rie.

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 5:53 AM

Hi @rie , wow this seems to be a nice place. Its even better that you can share the experience with your mom. You 2 must have had a great time.

ukirsari

“life is a neverending journey @ukirsariabroad ”

Badges & Stats in Kupang