"My entry point to Tana Toraja" Makale by ukirsari
Makale Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 10 photos
After 8 hours passing the scenic route from Makassar to Toraja highland [about 320 km north of Makassar, the provincional city of South Sulawesi], here I am ... stop a moment at Makale, the capital of Tana Toraja. The Torajans are friendly and the breeze playing my hair, as the clouds seems so close upon my face.
A small lively city, with a Catholican Church Sancta Maria on the right side, seems "waving" hello to the travellers who entering Makale. Then on the left side, the famous Sadan' [pronounced as Sa'dan and sometimes also Sadan'] river is welcoming us too.
And also not to be missed is the astonishing rocky cliffs formations along Makale. After Gunung Nona [The Lady Mountain] nearby Enrekang, this city showing several beautiful formation of the cliffs. Just like 'local' Grand Canyon :)
During my trip to Tana Toraja I'd been visiting:
~ Rantepao [more details at my Rantepao page]
~ Bolu [also my Rantepao page]
~ Ke'te Kesu [Rantepao page]
~ Lemo [Rantepao page]
~ Batu Tumongga [Rantepao page]
~ Palawa [Rantepao page]
This trip, is my first solo trip in my own country for 2004. And I'd still have my post holiday blues of Jogjakarta when I repacking my backpack and heading to the east of Indonesia archipelago. But of course it's not my style to keep quiet during my holiday time, so I found several newly friends. The friendly Torajans Anthony and Jules [uhummm, I can not stop smiling everytime calling this name, since I remember a German movie "Im Juli" which I like very much :)].
And of course I accompanied by my lovely Russian tee-shirt "ariel" [an eagle with two heads] from Andrey. So, @rie and ariel travel together again ~ thanks to your kewl accompany during trekking at Mengkendek, ariel.
- In a nutshell:Small lush-greenery-rocky town
Traditional Torajans houses called tongkonan and the rice barn in front of the house. Truely decorative, beautiful and... more travel advice
A lush greenery padi field along the way of Mengkendek. Just like patchwork or quilt with gradation hue color of... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Makale Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Makale
- 9 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Makale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Makale
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Do you have a travel mascot..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tongkonan and the rice barns"
- updated a Makale Travel Page "My entry point to Tana Toraja"
- Commented on one of h4pp1's Makale travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hanging coffins and graveyards at rocky cliffs in Makale Things to Do
Photos in MakaleSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos