"torang samua basudara, jo!" Top 5 Page for this destination Manado by ukirsari
Manado Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 496 photos
what i love from manado as the city is ... their motto-grotto as written on the signboards and in many public facilities, such as bus shelters and intersections. said in there in manadoian lingo, "torang samua basudara, jo!" which can be translated as "we are living in this whole big family. so .. stay peace with all of your family members!"
and it's indeed describe the people. they love to arrange parties, mingle around, asking guests to have meals at their homes and smile anywhere!
after the motto-grotto about peaceful living as big family, another motto-grotto of manado is "kota tinutuan". tinutuan is a local porridge, made from rice and kind of veggies, from water spinach, carrot, pumpkin and corn. served hot with salty fish and chili sauce. also known as "bubur manado" in bahasa indonesia [indonesian language].
and what will coming into your mind further about addressing manado as a traditional porridge? can be simplify as follows: the contents of the porridge symbolizing how plural manado citizens are. coming from the rest of indonesia's archipelago, in different religions and beliefs and tribes. but what happened? they live in harmony.
it's just like, "no matter about its backgrounds, but once you are in manado, you should pay respect to others so can live in harmony."
speaking about manado, it will less complete before you do culinary trip. abundant seafood can be found here. and traditional meals to be tried for sure. from ordinary contents of food [chicken, pork and beef] to something called 'bizarre food'. errrrr .... should i mention it here? :D they have dog meat, forest rats to grilled bats!
apart from bizarre food ... i love to pick my own fave manadoian food which i die for ;)
in my list are:
- stir-fried unripe papaya flowers
- cakalang fufu [smoked tuna diced into pieces and fried with hot spices and pandanus leaf
- klappertaart, a cake made from coconut fiber, rum and raisin and vla sauce. served cold from fridge.
- In a nutshell:i don't want to miss the klappertaart in front of me ;)
if your aim is to find a laid back and relaxing place, santika resort and spa is the answer. but speaking about distance... more travel advice
there are several groups of small islands nearby manado which offers one of the best sea garden in the world! catch a... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Manado Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEXT EVENT: WOC - MAY 2009"
- "Not many people know this place - Manado"
- "torang samua basudara, jo!"
- "Manado, a city that's been kissed by God"
- "Manado, for always in my heart"
- "Magical Manado & Lembeh Lair"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manado
- Hotels in Manado
- Transportation in Manado
- Nightlife in Manado
- Restaurants in Manado
- Warnings and Dangers in Manado
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manado
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Manado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manado
Photos in ManadoSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos