"surakarta hadiningrat ... for solo's full name" Solo by ukirsari
Solo Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 412 photos
solo, surakarta hadiningrat or kartasura ... it's a magic word which always lead me back and comeback again to this city.
i already built [uncompleted] page under name 'surakarta' for my beloved parents. and re-make this page since vt provided another chance within modern name of surakarta hadiningrat: solo.
what i love from solo of course derived from my lineage of my great grand parents. there's a huge colonial house next to manahan square as a witness of our [royal] family. then now, already changed into business centre.
in this modern era, i would like to remember it as part of my family history. and i feel so grateful to be part of it. from the ancestors and its lineage and family tree.
situated about 1 hour drive by car [less if going with my cousins ;) ] from jogja or ngayogyakarta hadiningrat, some of tourists thinking the culture and atmosphere will be quite the same. between solo and jogja.
that's not correct. by words "seeing is believing", can be felt there are many differences in between two cities. by language, they have different accents. by culinary they have different specialities. by culture [batik] they also had different patterns and by city scenes, solo more laid back compared to jogjakarta.
there are two ancient ruins sites at the outskirt of solo. the enchanting candi ceto [ceto temple group, do not mis-spelling with 'seto' since have pretty different meaning 'ceto' is 'can be seen clearly' and 'seto' means 'white' -- i know this very well since my brother carried one of that name, 'seto' :)]. and another is candi sukuh. a sensual aura comes into its bas-relief and the shape is different than central javanese's group of temples as usually found. it's kinda like mayan's temple type!
my parents take me and my brother to visit solo regularly when we are kids. at least once per year.
i remember very well, how the city looks-like when i under 10 years old. the becaks [rickshaw look-like], the batik quarters of laweyan district and pasar klewer market, train stations and the tram.
especially the tram, so far i remember it's still operated until mid 80s. feel like somewhere to have a seat and wandering around the city, passing the old quarter of solo.
my latest visit to solo was an official assignment. and i was more than happy to show my fellows around, especially for batik and old stuffs [second-hand] hunting. sugeng rawuh ing surakarta hadiningrat .... mangga pinarak and i take them for a teatime in a nice boutique hotel at laweyan district. how humble the owner of this place, can be read by their signage which said as 'bed and breakfast'. for me, it's close to a unique-boutique hotel :)
for joppie and ary [hahhaaha, pretty close name with mine!] it's great to see how enjoy you are during our assignment in solo. wish to go travel again with both of you someday!
- In a nutshell:lineage, culture, batik and colonial houses that lead me back and come back again!
snacks in solo is delicious. there are so many choices and it's easy to pick your own favourite. can be sweet or... more travel advice
ukirsari's Related Pages
Solo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Solo by Bike"
- "SOLO=SURAKARTA, Central Java"
- "Solo + Ygojakarta"
- "My Bengawan Solo is from here!!"
- "Solo (Surakarta)"
- "Solo, getting out of town"
- "Solo (Surakarta)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solo
- Hotels in Solo
- Transportation in Solo
- Nightlife in Solo
- Restaurants in Solo
- Shopping in Solo
- Warnings and Dangers in Solo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solo
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Solo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solo
Photos in SoloSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos