"Home of the schooners" Top 5 Page for this destination Makassar by ukirsari

Sail,
Sailing away
To the horizon
To the sunrise
To the place I never been
To see the new life
To feel the sea breeze
And the sunlight
Waiting the sunset
Then the night fall
Have you ever miss your family, Mr Sailorman?
Or have you ever think
Whenever your phinisi-boat reach a secluded harbour and small island
Promise to never leave that place again
"I remember when I was a kid, @rie. I was so rarely see my Dad. And when he back home, his fragrance was mixed tobacco and sea-air. But I love him still. Accept him as it should be. Like a son to his great Dad. Since he was, he is and always. Captured in my heart."
[someone who truely close with me, ever ... telling this touching feeling towards his Dad, one day ... whenever tells about his native Bugis-Selayar-Portuguese]

* ukirsari, May 18th, 2004*

"Tassiaga kumatteka tauwe diliweng puang?" [how much i should pay for a single trip]
"Ta limassebbu." [5,000 rupiah]
"Masulik wegga puang, tellusebbuna puang." [hmmmm, too expensive! may i give you 3,000 rupiah?]
"Tambaiki sisebbu puang, jaji patasebbu." [added 1,000 rupiah more, please, so 4,000]
"Iyek, mainik falek." [ok, deal]

* a buginese conversation, long, long time ago!*

Makassar sky ... 32,000 feet

~ Makassar or was known as Ujung Pandang, is the main harbour and gate to enter Indonesia Timur [east of the archipelago of Indonesia]. From this entry point, you can go to Papua, Maluku islands, Selayar, Buton, Flores, Kalimantan and others in the east of my country. Many many schoners go sailing from Paotere harbour to these destinations. And Makassar also the provincional city of South Sulawesi.
~ The main attractions of South Sulawesi as follows:
* Toraja Highlands on the south-western peninsula
* Makassar herself
* Poso
* Palu
* Bira Island
* Selayar Island

Beloved Marco 'Coco'

Hi my Little Buddy, whenever I write this letter Tante @rie already back to Jakarta. I miss your smile, I miss your naughty-spontaneous-but cool habits when we're together several days ago in Ujung Pandang.
Marco, Mommy Cil told you that Tante @rie always "going anywhere"; underlining the sky, capturing beautiful sceneries, finding beautiful old buildings and going and going and going as a traveller. But I can tell you now, of course as a "bird" I need a nest and trees to have a sleep and keep my heart there, Sweetheart. And one of those is you ... I was so happy to hold your tiny hand when we go hang-out. I like to see you showing me your uncomplete teeth and say "aaaawwww" then we laugh together. I love to take picture with you standing in front of me then your fingers touching my hands and say "No, no, no ... this one better. Not that one, Tante @rie!!!"
Yeah, I am gonna miss you, Coco. Cepatlah besar dan menyongsong matahari [oh, keep growing fast, Little Child and follow to the sun] as Iwan Fals' song. So you can be like me, as Mommy ever said before you're fallen asleep at your bedtime :)
Coco, would you please take care Mommy Cil and Daddy Rudy and little brother Josh as you'd promised me before I go to the airport? Tante @rie still has that promise, will visit you again someday, okay?
I love you, Marco.

[my letter to Marco, 3 years old, first son of my beloved friends Cil and her hubby Rudy. Guys, your son truely stolen my heart :) ]

• In a nutshell:I don't want to miss those schooners :)
  • Last visit to Makassar: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 5, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I was reviewing this area on the internet, and you have described some good tips of the culture and customs

• mansionion's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Hi @rie! Hope u had good time in Sulawesi recently. Makassar looks exotic - must go 1 day; more so since now AirAsia fly direct frm KL to Makassar :) -m-

• cleomedes's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 7:10 AM

Thank you for the great tips and pictures!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2006 at 10:54 PM

Makassar has the taste of exotic spices, hot weather and warm sea in the mind of many people who dream to travel

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 2:27 PM

Phinisi boats, are they from Phenicians ? Nice harbour. :-) a lesser green but more blue page.

• May 7, 2004 at 2:12 AM

The harbour pic, the cutie kid & that 32k feet pics? Wowwww..They're just pretty!

• Goldenboy's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2004 at 6:26 AM

Waaaaaaa kapal merapatnya apik!!! Edann, kepengen aku...

ukirsari

“life is a neverending journey @ukirsariabroad ”

Badges & Stats in Makassar

Have you been to Makassar?

Latest Activity in Makassar