"Lengger Dance at Anggrunggondok" Wonosobo by ukirsari

Wonosobo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 102 photos

Wonosobo ... such a dearly name since I was a kid. This small-lively town is the main entrance to the Dieng Plateau. A place which lying nearby my grandparents hometown [Parakan]. So, how 'fluently' I am to pronounced all these names of villages and small towns in between Parakan to Wonosobo: Temanggung, Bulu, Kedu, Parakan, Karangsari, Paponan, Mergowati, Kledung, Kledung Pass, Wonosobo .... as these names always captured in my heart.
And one day ... when I join several friends of mine and stay for awhile here, the story just changed. More colorful than before. I was fallen in love with one of the villages in Wonosobo, called Anggrunggondok. Like a fairy tale ... when the mist roll in, I hear the unique sound of gamelan. Watching the people dancing 'kesurupan' [supranatural spirit comes in or so called trance] and moving in rhytm, meet lovely kids who always smiles and have beautiful eyes and cheeks [looks they're using make-up, rouge or whatsoever, but it's original thing, not artificial!], hmmm, my heart just melt ....

Scenic Route and local festival

Go to Wonosobo, I usually using this route:
~ Jakarta >> Jogjakarta, Magelang, Temanggung, Kedu, Parakan, Karangsari, Wonosobo [then Dieng of course!]
~ Surabaya >> Semarang, Pekalongan, Sukorejo, Parakan, Karangsari, Wonosobo

Using overland trip [except Jakarta to Jogjakarta or Surabaya to Semarang, usually I go by plane], both of the routes showing us the scenic route. Lying on 900 metres above sea level, Wonosobo [shorted as WSB] has cool climate and unpredictable mist which can covered several area in the evening, night, early morning 'till mid-day!
Then, on the national holidays, people in several small town like Parakan, Temanggung and Wonosobo herself are gather and arrange a festival in a public area called alun-alun [city square] with main attraction Kuda Kepang [from the most famous from Temanggung] and Lengger dance [from Wonosobo regency].

The cockroach made us laugh

"Kris, Kris ... give a help, please! HELP!" I think I was scream in panic when I open my room at a hotel in Wonosobo.
"What happened!?" Not only Kris, but several guys suddenly came into my room and find me still in panic attack caused by a cockroach. And Eka, my beloved Gula can not help but smile, "You? Afraid of cockroach and already been anywhere by yourself?" Euhhh??! But this cockroach scary me!!!!
Then, not only Kris, Mr Yupa also gave a help. Thrown his flip flop over the cockroach and sent that smelly thing over my room.
And it's not the only funny story. Only second after I 'landed' on the bed .... BUUUMMM! The bed has fallen to the ground.
"@rie .... you're such a natural disaster!!! My God!" I heard Kris' voice meanwhile he's checking the bed.
"And it's not my fault. It's just happened, Kris!" I replied bit 'angrily' since he was asked about my weight. "You think I am a small elephant?"
Then all of us laugh together. Me, Eka Gula, Mr Yupa, Kris himself and several friends from fotografer.net and it's happened after midnight.
Well, Kris or Kristupa [means Christopher in Batak's accent] Saragih is one of my old friend, first meet around 15 years ago, when both of us work as correspondents in a teenager magazine. Who can predict, our second meet happened caused by a cockroach?
In this opening page of Wonosobo, I would like to say thanks for:
~ Kristupa Wicaksana Saragih, kindly check his site on: http://fotografer.net/isi/galeri/index.php?page=1&searchid=4&katacari=401
~ Mr Yupa [taken from Yusuf Paulus]
~ Teman-teman [my newly friends] from fotografer.net
~ Iwan and Arya Marta
~ Rekan-rekan [buddies] from Himpunan Penggemar Photography Wonosobo [HPPW]
~ Mr Manito Amin and family, especially 'Wawan' Irawan Akbar Hidayat and Pak Agus
~ Mas Hendrawan
~ Last but not least my beloved Eka 'Gula', Mas Darmawan [pick me up from the airport] and Val for his luvly Taruna :) and Kenyung Aditya

• In a nutshell:Surrounded by mist and cool festivals on harvest!
  • Last visit to Wonosobo: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2004

• iyudini's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM

All beautiful pictures you have! Can't wait to visit Wonosobo and Dieng especially. I plan to try Mie Ongklok.

• bkarjee's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 4:02 AM

Hi Ukirsari, Was viewing your Wonosobo n Dieng pages. Trying to collect as much info as possible before I leave. I understand the tough time as it is your new assignment. I am sure it will be just for few days and after that, you will enjoy it. Cheers

• Djoehana's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 7:24 AM

All right you convinced me. For my Java trip I have planned a stop at Baturraden but I think I will replace it with a stay at Anggrunggondok, Anda

• and_juana's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 4:25 PM

i hv plan to go wonosobo!! maybe as soon as end of this year...hopefully if time and $$ permits!

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 3:49 PM

Wow so many great pictures to look through. I like your commentaries and humor. Looking forward to coming back for more.

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 6:01 PM

FlipFlop + cockroach = SPLAT ! ! ! I love it!!! The incredible photography, the wonderful culture included in each tip, and your humour!

• Aug 10, 2004 at 5:46 AM

Interesting place,Ari! I miss u my dear so have to rush and say heellooo!:)) Pretty pictures, you're becoming a very good photographer now!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 12:01 AM

WOW, what an intro pic and the wonderful travelogues.......well done @rie, thanx for all the good tips too hehe standing on the bed ...cockroach LOL

• grets's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2004 at 11:55 AM

What a gerat place - I love it! Some wonderful pictures that bring this place to life. Well done.

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2004 at 9:33 AM

Wow!!!! One of your kind of Wonosobo's page. Btw, Kuda Kepang is one of the cultural dance for Negeri Johor (my homestate). Couid it be originated from your place????

ukirsari

“life is a neverending journey @ukirsariabroad ”

Badges & Stats in Wonosobo

Have you been to Wonosobo?

Latest Activity in Wonosobo