"Good morning, Siem Reap" Top 5 Page for this destination Phumi Siem Reab by ukirsari

Phumi Siem Reab Travel Guide: 497 reviews and 1,126 photos

What a wonderful world

I see trees of green........ red roses too
I watch 'em bloom..... for me and for you
And I think to myself.... what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue..... clouds of white
Bright blessed days....warm sacred nights
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world.

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are there on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin'.. how do you do
They're really sayin'......I love you.

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
They'll learn much more.....than I'll never know
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world

The colors of a rainbow.....so pretty ..in the sky
Are there on the faces.....of people ..going by
I see friends shaking hands.....sayin'.. how do you do
They're really sayin'... I .... LOVE ....YOU

I hear babies cry...... I watch them grow
You know their gonna learn a whole lot more than I'll never know
And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself .......what a wonderful world

*Lyrics by George David Weiss and Bob Thiele
*Performed by Louis Armstrong

House of the Angkors

Siem Reap, Siem Reab or Phumi Siem Reab. I love to address this small province of the Kingdom of Cambodia as "House of The Angkors". Because this place is the gateway to the Angkors and situated about 7 km away from the main attraction which became one of the Seven Wonders in the world.
It's still arguably story nowadays about the name "Siem Reap" itself. From the sources I had read, these words means "the city which conquered by Siam (the ancient name for the Kingdom of Thailand)". The fact about this battle also can be found in National Geographic Channel which speaking about Siam's invasion at 1431 or 15th century. But in the other hand, I try to open mind about the story by the locals. They said that Siem Reab (Reap) means "the city where the Khmer repulsed Siam (warriors)". Because the meaning of this word "reab" (reap) in Khmer lingo reflecting "cut", like cutting the crop 'till the roots. "The first time, yes, Siamese won. But, our king --one of the geniality of King Jayavarman-- knew they will be comeback again. So he made a new strategy so finally we won against Siam," tell a man nearby 1st level of Angkor Wat. "That's why the name of this city means "the place where the Siamese surrender"!"

To the memory of Mr H

What I look and what I feel about Siem Reap today at the moment I visit this small town, I love to be here. No matter she lose or win, since she gave a nice impression as a gateway of the Angkors. The condition is a bit dusty. New hotels and building activities are everywhere in Siem Reap, especially in the strategic areas nearby National Route Nr 6 (or Airport Road) and Vithei (vithei means street) Charles de Gaulle nearby Grand d' Angkor Hotel (managed by Raffles International Resort, same as Raffles Hotel in Singapore) and Jayavarman VII hospital.
Traditional (by locals) and modern life (from the tourists) are mixing in Siem Reab. For examples, food and beverages using USD for payments. Also the souvenirs. But in local market (called phsa, means market), they're still using riel (KHR). Or when I took Tuk-tuk and going around Siem Reab in early morning with Ha (I always address him as Mister Eic, not pronounced his name as 'Ha'), the 40 years old Tuk-tuk driver. I witnessed the people bathing at the Siem Reap River, nearby the Royal Residence of King Norodom Sihanouk. Then the monks were walking in small group to Wat Preah Ang. They're living in harmony ... still have simple life in the modern atmosphere as a tourist destination.
When I heading back to Poi Pet after visit House of the Angkors, I still remember the nice hospitality of Mr H who showing me this small-nice city through his eyes. He knew, I like this city very much. Do you think we can meet again someday, Mr H? I do hope so :)

• In a nutshell:printed version is on the bookshop now! siem reap by ukirsari in JIP Magz, december 2006 edition
  • Last visit to Phumi Siem Reab: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2006

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 11:20 AM

I loved Siem Reap as much as you did (and Angkor, of course). Great pictures here with interesting tips.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 4:14 AM

Lovely page on Siem Reap - I really enjoyed my stay here and would like to return some day. Gillybob greetings

• saracen's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 4:52 PM

Thanks for the tips - going in a few weeks and I cannot wait!

• cheekychic's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Hi! yup, I have not been active in VT lately, MIA for a while :) Just lazy to update my pages.. hehe. Hopefully will finish up my kuantan pages. Great pages on Siem Reap, I'm going there in Sept, can't wait!

• wibisono's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 9:45 PM

Seems delicious.... Tapi kok kayaknya rada mahal ya harganya kalo untuk budget traveling...ntar saya nanya2 tempat makan yang murah ya, Mbak... -Satyo-

• mickshe's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 3:33 AM

mmm..looks yummy.

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 2:48 PM

That shrimp dish looks like enough reason to leave work today and head for Cambodia.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2004 at 3:57 AM

Hello Pi-Oh :-) You put up very beautiful pages on Cambodia. Thanks for sharing them with us and have a great weekend :-)

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 5:08 AM

Thanks for the information about Siem Reap separate from Angkot Wat. Too many people don't provide any information about the area at all, but just have pages on Angkor Wat.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 6:43 PM

Great Page I must get to Cambodia next time I am in Asia!

ukirsari

“life is a neverending journey @ukirsariabroad ”

Badges & Stats in Phumi Siem Reab

Have you been to Phumi Siem Reab?