"Queen of the snowy hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Simla by ukirsari
Simla Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 239 photos
... Selain belanja aneka kerajinan setempat di Lakkar Bazaar, trekking dan bird watching merupakan pilihan saya. Sejatinya ada jalur terkenal Shimla - Kullu Valley lewat Jalori Pass [3.000 m dpl] atau Bashleo Pass [3.250 m dpl]. Tapi saya pilih jalur ringan ke Glenn Forest, Annandale, Elysium Hill sampai Summer Hill. Kawasan perbukitan dan hutan pinus [catatan: pinewood merupakan lambang Shimla] di mana saya memotret matahari terbenam di rangkaian pegunungan Himalaya, sekitar pukul 19.30 waktu setempat ....
* Excerption from my article, published by Top Gear Indonesia [under licensed of Top Gear, BBC, UK], August 2004 *
SUMMER ON SHIMLA
.... Beside walking along and find many beautiful local souvenirs at Lakkar Bazaar, trekking and bird watching were my fave activities, so does Nobby and our beloved friend Gopi. Actually, Shimla has a famous trekking line to Kullu Valley via Jalori Pass [3,000 m asl] atau Bashleo Pass [3,250 m asl]. But we prefer a light trekking to Glen Forest, Annandale, Elysium Hill to Summer Hill. The hilly areas and pinewood forest [note: pinewood became an icon for Shimla Province] where we took sequel pictures of sunset over Himalayan Mountaineous Range about 07.30 PM ....
footsteps just captured in the past old days
leave the bad memories behind
so only the good memories will remains
[gyabla phangs tay tur-zang bo dun-la nain-na zaddamaid, in Ladakhi]
* ukirsari, Delhi, 2004 *
Shimla [or sometimes written as Simla] was declared as the summer capital of India in 1864, situated at 2,159 above sea level. The name Shimla takes from Shyamala Devi, the incarnation of Goddess Kali, the deity of power and wrath.
But different than its name, this beautiful and tranquil city discovered by the Britons as a small village in 1819 and became a region of the Nepalese Kingdom. During the administration of Lord William Bentinck, Shimla acquired by the Government of India. After the independence of India [and became Commonwealth of Nations], Shimla became the capital of Punjab 'till 1966. Afterward, became region of Himachal Pradesh.
With the local population is about 123,000 and languages spoken are Hindi, Himachali, Garhwali and English, Shimla is an ideal place for retreat from the heat on summer in the northern part of India. Also addressed as Queen of the Snowy Hills with maximum temperature around 25 degrees Celcius in summer. When winter comes, the temperature going cold due to the chilly winds from the upper Himalayas. And around Christmas, Shimla experiences snowfall.
- In a nutshell:maybe a bit touristy but still i like it :)
difficult to answer, which one i like most in Shimla. i like to do trekking to Annandale and Elysium Hills as i love to... more travel advice
a backpack with covers [rucsack] plus a daily pack for trekking whenever you're going up from the valley to the hills of... more travel advice
- The Land of Hanuman!
- See All Dessert 3: Chaat Masala
- See All Tibetan stuffs hot to buy :)
- See All Bazaar at night
ukirsari's Related Pages
Simla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen of the snowy hills"
- "Shimla - A little piece of England in India"
- "Shimla of the Hills"
- "India's brighton"
- "Simla must have been beautiful once upon a time!"
- "Simla (now known as Shimla)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Simla
- Hotels in Simla
- Transportation in Simla
- Nightlife in Simla
- Restaurants in Simla
- Shopping in Simla
- Warnings and Dangers in Simla
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Simla
- 45 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Simla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Simla
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Do you have a travel mascot..."
- updated a Simla Travelogue "my article on Top Gear-BBC [Indonesian franchise]"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Everyday's hiking :)"
- Wrote a Review All of the old buildings and hills in Shimla in Simla Favorites
- Commented on one of lachydragon's Simla travel pages
Photos in SimlaSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 90 reviews, 93 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 54 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tengger Caldera Intro, 40 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Lombok Intro, 46 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Simla Intro, 45 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bogor Intro, 23 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banten Intro, 36 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos