"Islands in the Sky" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument by paulscuba
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 242 photos
I was looking for a unique less visited place to go hiking and came upon Chiricahhua national monument in SouthEast Arizona. The park is part of the Islands in the Sky ecosystem. These are created by mountain ranges existing in the desert. The weather patterns are such that the mountains get 2-4 times more rain that the desert areas below.
Also the Chiricahuas are far enough south that birds/plans and mammals from the N. Mexico environment can be seen here. Actuall 4 ecosystems merge here; Rocky Mountains, Sierra Madre Mountains, Sonoran & Chihuahuan Deserts. Jaguars are occasionally spotted in the national Forest that surrounds the monument and a variety of oaks and other plant life from all the other various ecosystems grow symbiotically together here. THe sunny side of canyons has one set of plant life and the shady side has another.
The uniqueness of this park is due to erosive effects on volcanic rock in this area. The area is not currently volcanically active but there are a large number of volcanic features in this area showing that it once was geologically active.
Near the end of the drive through the park there are a couple of locations where hikes can begin. We did Echo Canyon to... more travel advice
There are a variety of trails to hike. There are 4 trails near the campground and the stream in the flatter portion of... more travel advice
paulscuba's Related Pages
Chiricahua National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Chiricahuas"
- "The Great Escape: Chiricahua National Monument"
- "Chiricahua National Monument"
- ""Wonderland of Rocks""
- "Islands in the Sky"
- "Chiricahua National Monument - AZ - USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiricahua National Monument
- Hotels in Chiricahua National Monument
- Transportation in Chiricahua National Monument
- Restaurants in Chiricahua National Monument
- Shopping in Chiricahua National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiricahua National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiricahua National Monument
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Chiricahua National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiricahua National Monument
Photos in Chiricahua National MonumentSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friday Harbor Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Point Reyes Station Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Wind Cave National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Badlands National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Murfreesboro Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Belize Intro, 5 reviews
- Seward 5 reviews
No friends yet.