"Kapa`au... well, not exactly." Kapaau by BlueCollar

Kapaau Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos

This page is not exactly about Kapa`au. It is really dedicated to Pololu Valley and Beach. Since VT.com has no listing for Pololu Valley, I have used Kapa`au.

Hawi and Kapa`au are two small towns next to each other on this very northern tip of the Big Island. Most all of the tourists that come here are coming to see the sites of a very quaint, small town. But the real draw for us was another 7 miles further at the end of the road: Pololu Valley.

This blacksand beach is what awaits you at Pololu.

You have to hike the switchbacks (cliffside trail) down the valley wall to get to the beach. You will only get the view in this picture once you are about 20% of the way down. It's an easy hike but just remember that it is coming up that will hurt you the most. So use your energy sparingly while in the valley.

Bring plenty of water and food since there is nothing down there but what you carry with you. Be sure to bring all waste back up as well.

The blacksand beach is just about a half-mile across and we had it all to ourselves the day we hiked down there. You get a real feeling of paradise at times like that. It made the arduous hike back up the cliffside trail truly worth it.

If you are very adventurous, there is a trail that goes up that opposing valley wall and on to Honokane Nui Valley. It is supposed to be quite a hike and quite a sight. We did not indulge.

My wife as we descended the 400+ feet of elevation down to the beach.

• Pros:The second most beautiful spot on the Big lsle
  • Cons:Hard to get back up to where your car is parked.
  • In a nutshell:Worth it!.
  • Last visit to Kapaau: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2004

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2005 at 5:50 PM

Wow, that's pretty down at the bottom. When I was there last month, I didn't have any water with me so I just stayed at the top and enjoyed the view.

BlueCollar