"Pu`uhonua `O Honaunau" Honaunau by BlueCollar
Honaunau Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 19 photos
Pu`uhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park (poo-oo-ho-noo-uh o ho-now-now). It's on the west side of the Big Island south of Kona. It's sometimes referred to as the Place of Refuge (that is the translation of Pu`uhonua).
Many things of old Hawai`i were considered kapu.....against the law. You could never let your shadow cross that of an ali`i, which is a high chief, or allow a man and a woman to eat together. These are but a few kapu that were punishable by death. And if your crime was too severe, your whole family was executed. But if you could manage to outrun your pursuers and make it to this temple you could perform a few rituals with the priest and all was forgiven. Also, warriors who lost in combat would come here for forgiveness.
This National Park sits on the actual historic grounds and is the most authentically recreated temple on any of the islands. It was in use into the 1800's until King Kamehameha outlawed the kapu system. This place of refuge ceased to be needed and was abandoned.
Click here for my travel tips on this beautiful place.
Click here for the National Park Service website.
The more you explore the islands, the more you'll run into the name Bishop. This prominent family still has holdings of land to this day that cover much (if not most) of the State. As this plaque at the Park atests to, the Bishops donated this land to the people.
Don't forget to check my travelogues for this place. They are here and here. The second one is of a most interesting lava tube near the park.
For my general travel tips and info on getting to and around the State of Hawai`i, click here.
For more Big Island sites, click here.
Pronounced: pooh-ooh-ho-nooh-uh o ho-now-now. Translated, it means: place of refuge at Honaunau. It's located on the... more travel advice
Written Aug 7, 2004
Pu`uhonua `O Honaunau
Written Mar 17, 2006
The lava tube near Pu`uhonua `o Honaunau
BlueCollar's Related Pages
Honaunau Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Honaunau
- 2 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Honaunau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honaunau
Photos in HonaunauSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 72 reviews, 294 photos, 4 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 20 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 18 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hana Intro, 9 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Molokai Intro, 8 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- California Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waipio Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haleakala National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues