"Pilar, Bataan" Pilar by mlt_t
Pilar Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 199 photos
Long ago this town was merely a barrio within the jurisdiction of the town of Balanga. There were very few inhabitants. One day a Spanish galleon was tossed to its shores by a violent storm. The galleon's destination was some town where it was to convey the image of a virgin. The Spaniards were greeted by the inhabitants were they landed. The visitors asked for the name of the place and they replied that it has no name. The Spaniards suggested that the place be named in honor of the image they had with them which was that of the "Lady of the Pillar". The people consented and since that time, the town had been called "Pilar
Pilar has a history all of its own tainted with legends, traditions, glory and death. On March 10, 1801, the Dominican priests under the spiritual ministration of Virgen Nuestra Senora del Pilar separated it from Balanga. Since then, Pilar has produced great men. Foremost among them was Don Pablo Roman considered as the father of Bataan.
With the march of time, the once unknown town has risen to unparalleled popularity here and abroad. This town is noted for the historical landmarks like the Flaming Sword and the Shrine of Valor (Dambana ng Kagitingan). War veterans visit it annually from different places on Bataan Day (April 9) to reminisce and honor the past.
The industrial activities in the municipality of Pilar are characterized by small scale industries built around the urban core and its vicinity.
- Pros:knowing about World War II
- Cons:I cannot think of con's...
- In a nutshell:you can see the whole Bataan...when you're up here
when going to Mt. Samat you cannot leave the place without coming or seeing the history of the Death March inside their... more travel advice
Pilar is one of the municipalities included in the Industrial Hub of the ’W’ Growth Corridor. Being adjacent to the... more travel advice
mlt_t's Related Pages
Pilar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mt Samat rules"
- ""Cross Encounter""
- "Pilar, Bataan"
- "Mount Samat, Shrine to Valor"
- "Mixed Emotions At Pilar, Bataan"
- "PILAR, BATAAN"
- "Shrine of Valor, Mt. Samat in Pilar, Bataan"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pilar
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Pilar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 63 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 47 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baguio City Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 34 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Subic Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boracay Island Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Mindoro Oriental Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaminos Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Bagac Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Olongapo City Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos