"jedd43's new Arizona Page" Arizona by jedd43
Arizona Travel Guide: 10,554 reviews and 28,758 photos
Marcos de Niza, a Spanish Franciscan friar, was the first European to explore Arizona. He entered the area in 1539 in search of the mythical Seven Cities of Gold. Although he was followed a year later by another gold seeker, Francisco V?squez de Coronado, most of the early settlement was for missionary purposes. In 1775 the Spanish established Fort Tucson. In 1848, after the Mexican War, most of the Arizona territory became part of the U.S., and the southern portion of the territory was added by the Gadsden Purchase in 1853.
My friend Josep, almogaver,wrote me and told me the name of the mission Sant Xavier del Bac (on my Tucson page) is a real catalan name, not spanish.
Arizona history is rich in legends of America's Old West. It was here that the great Indian chiefs Geronimo and Cochise led their people against the frontiersmen. Tombstone, Ariz., was the site of the West's most famous shoot-out?the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Today, Arizona has one of the largest U.S. Indian populations; more than 14 tribes are represented on 20 reservations.
Manufacturing has become Arizona's most important industry. Principal products include electrical, communications, and aeronautical items. The state produces over half of the country's copper. Agriculture is also important to the state's economy. In 1973 one of the world's most massive dams, the New Cornelia Tailings, was completed near Ajo.
State attractions include the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, the Painted Desert, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Fort Apache, and the reconstructed London Bridge at Lake Havasu City. .
jedd43's Related Pages
Arizona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, Historic Arizona"
- "WALK IN BEAUTY"
- "Jumping Around Our Very Own State - ARIZONA!"
- "Arizona, breathtaking scenery"
- "Jumping Thelma and Louise in Arizona!!!"
- "Raising Arizona to New Heights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arizona
- Hotels in Arizona
- Transportation in Arizona
- Nightlife in Arizona
- Restaurants in Arizona
- Shopping in Arizona
- Warnings and Dangers in Arizona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arizona
- 72 Reviews
- 255 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Arizona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arizona
Top 10 Pages
- Tucson Intro, 60 reviews, 234 photos, 9 travelogues
- Oklahoma City Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seminole Intro, 12 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 22 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oklahoma Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arizona Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Shawnee Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Wewoka Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Burlington Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos