"catkin's Thailand Page" Thailand by catkin
Thailand Travel Guide: 32,102 reviews and 82,803 photos
Thailand-The land of smiles.
The area covered by Thailand in South East Asia is just slightly smaller than France and is boxed in between Mayanmar (Burma), Laos and Cambodia and reaches down to peninsular Malaysia. The area where Thailand meets Mayanmar and Laos is known as the Golden Triangle, and it is here where the fields of opium poppies flourish.
Thailand remains one of the very few countries to have always been independent, changing it?s name from Siam in the 1930?s.
The first capital city was Sukhothai (1238-1358), the second Ayutthaya (1358-1767) and it?s third capital is now Bangkok.
The present monarch King Bumiphol Adulyade (Rama 9th), ascended to the throne in 1946, and is adored by his subjects. The main religion of Thailand is Buddhism although some other religions are followed
We have visited Thailand several times and have been to Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.
Chiang Mai is in the Far North of the country. It is an ancient walled city surrounded by a moat, about an hours flight from Bangkok.
Pattaya is a beach resort renowned for it?s beaches, nightlife and it?s girlie bars.
I will be visiting Bangkok this year for the first leg of my summaer holiday, I can't wait to go back and I counting the weeks left!
Visit a silk factory near Chiang Mai The silk factory gives you an insight of sericulture (the growing and care of silk... more travel advice
Supposedly the oldest Temple in Chiang Mai and houses two sacred images, an 8th century marble statue and a 1000 year... more travel advice
catkin's Related Pages
Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand - BpraThetThai"
- "Beautiful Thailand!!"
- "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- "*The Land of Smiles"
- "but where is your soul?"
- "A Different Thailand - The Non-Standard Places"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thailand
- Hotels in Thailand
- Transportation in Thailand
- Nightlife in Thailand
- Restaurants in Thailand
- Shopping in Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thailand
- 54 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thailand
Top 10 Pages
- Luxor Intro, 17 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Bali Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Prague Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Lake District National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Goa Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Thailand Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos