Karachi Local Custom Tips by Deus_ultima
Karachi Local Customs: 22 reviews and 25 photos
The food in Pakistan is amazing! So good and tasty! Shrimp, fish, lamb, chicken, lentils, beef..and of course, rice and breads of all sorts! (and so much more..but these are my favorites!
It is by far my favorite food!
People usually eat with their hand or use their naan (bread) to pick the food up.
Don't eat with your left hand thought... (keep it off the table really..)
Meals are served kinda like the spanish tapas in a way that they come all in small little plates, with a big one for rice and bread. You then pick a bit here and there and fill your plate with all you like!
Some of the things are VERY spicy, while others are kinda sweet..so ask the person serving you just to make sure :)
Other Contact: www.contactpakistan.com/pakfood
Women and men do things seperately in some areas. They eat in different rooms, party with their own etc.. I was fairly young so I was allowed to go from one room to another wich was cool..also, I understood urdu better than my mom so I was her little helper which was kinda fun. :)
Here's a few words I remember: 'KADOO': some kind of pumpkin or something..my dad said my head was big like one.. :(, 'SHUCRIA': Thanks..always practical. 'MOOJAY BOUC LAGUIAY (phonetic..kinda): Means I'm hungry..which was what I said the most as a teen.. more to come as I remember!
The rich here a very rich..and the poor VERY poor. You just can't miss the clash... We lived in an area called 'Federal Block 'B' The house was HUGE! Our Canadian bungallow fit at least twice on each blacony..ad there were 3.. The floors where in marble, the staircase was amazing and the huse was filled with 'servants' (i hate that term really as they were fine folk) and armed security. BUT, not so far away... (by car anyways) you could find people living in houses without any running water or electricity, using manure as a combustible fuel. When they saw my mother, they thought she was really beautyfull (althought to slim for them to think she was healthy) and asked her to dance. Obviously, no electricity means no sound system or anything, so she just danced has they clapped their hands. They were really pleased and I thought it was pretty cool..
When I was there, there was a curfew. Every morning, the cows would leave their home by themselves and wander off in the city...then, by night time, theyl would make their way back, in a fairly organised line...bloking all traffic!! And believe me..traffic is insane there!!
So everynight, I always wondered if I would make it before the curfew!!
More Reviews (7)
Deus_ultima's Related Pages
Karachi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karachi ~ Over the edge!"
- "KARACHI - THE CITY OF LIGHTS"
- "Karachi an Unpredictable city"
- "Sensory Overload - Karachi"
- "Faiza & Ifrah's Southern Sindh Province"
- "Karachi - Where No One Sleeps Hungry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karachi
- Hotels in Karachi
- Transportation in Karachi
- Nightlife in Karachi
- Restaurants in Karachi
- Shopping in Karachi
- Warnings and Dangers in Karachi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Otago Hotels
- Fuerte Amador Hotels
- Île de Béniguet Hotels
- Wasatch Mountain State Park Hotels
- Provincie Utrecht
- San Elijo State Beach
Badges & Stats in Karachi
- 12 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Karachi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karachi
Top 10 Pages
- Quebec Intro, 69 reviews, 64 photos
- Montreal Intro, 65 reviews, 57 photos
- Kingston Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Prague Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Eindhoven Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Magog Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
Latest Karachi hotel reviews
- Sheraton Karachi Hotel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Marriott Karachi
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Pearl Continental Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Avari Towers Karachi
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Ramada Plaza Karachi Airport
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Regent Plaza Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2012
- Beach Luxury Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Carlton Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2010
- Embassy Inn
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Faran
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2012
- Mazar-e-Quaid- 10 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Sea View- 18 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Kemari- 8 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Aladdin Park- 7 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Frere Hall- 14 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Pakistan Air Force Museum- 3 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Hawks Bay Beach- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Clifton Funland- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Mohatta Palace Museum- 5 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Zoo- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
See All Karachi Things to Do