"Trekking Haven" Nathia Gali by Laurina

Nathia Gali Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 119 photos

What an Amazing View from Nathia Gali!!!

The sight of Nanga Parbat (Naked Mountain) also known as the ‘killer’ mountain stunned us! We had gotten up at 5 am in Islamabad to go for a trek near Nathia Gali, but 15 mins away we had to turn back. The roads were too icy and my friend’s car, a landcruiser, hadn’t ever been tested for its 4-wheel drive capabilities, which, it turns out, were nill.

Instead we got out and were confronted with this view. You can even see some of the passes but in actuality the mountain was 180 km north of us. My Pakistani friend, who’s an avid mountaineer/trekker told us that in his 15 years of exploring this area (he’s originally from Quetta, Baluchistan) he’d NEVER seen the mountain this clear from this far away. I would guess that this photo is thus one of its kind. In fact, when he told people on an trekking discussion group about what we’d seen that morning, NO ONE believed him and said it was impossible. Even when he posted the picture he was accused of digitally manipulating it! It was for real, believe me!

Nanga Parbat is the ninth highest mountain in the world, and the westernmost mountain of the Himalayas. It also has the highest sheer rockface in the world (4 km I read somewhere) I’ll let you know if I ever summit! ;)

• Pros:If you like the outdoors, this is IT!
  • Cons:It's just underrated, as is much of Pakistan :(
  • In a nutshell:Give it a try!
  • Last visit to Nathia Gali: Mar 2004
  • Intro Written Mar 13, 2004

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 6:56 PM

Ah, the naked killer...!

• husain's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2004 at 11:13 PM

The sight of any of these mountains in the Himalayas moves me too everytime. I can well understand yr excitement! I think there is something special about the Himalayas...

Laurina

“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”

Badges & Stats in Nathia Gali

Have you been to Nathia Gali?

Latest Activity in Nathia Gali