"the ugly duckling" Brussels by call_me_rhia
Brussels Travel Guide: 5,647 reviews and 11,916 photos
<p align=center><font color=red size=3><b>home of the Manneken Pis</b></font>
Brussels... it really takes an incredible amount of ingenuity to believe that a city which has as one of its most famous landmarks a pissing man would be a great city. Well, ingenuity is possibly my second name, because I went there full of expectations .
Here's the story: I got off the train, headed straight for the main square, found it incredibly charming... then walked about, walked about even more, took buses, got off buses, saw some beautiful things... and in general I was pretty much disappointed.
To be fair: Bruxelles is not entirely ugly but it is too spread out... places of interests are far apart, with nothing much than unssuming concrete in between. In my opinion it really lacks the basic qualities to make it a "real" european city: compactness and overall widespread charm.
Just as the ultimate insult, I guess, it was chosen as headquarters of the European Union: a notion both insulting and grotesque; I really wonder why Europe should be represented by possibly one of the least European cities of all. The explanation of this mistery clearly fails me.
call_me_rhia's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
Photos in BrusselsSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 45 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 33 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 39 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manama Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos
- Doha Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues