"the ugly duckling" Brussels by call_me_rhia

Brussels Travel Guide: 5,650 reviews and 11,941 photos

<p align=center><font color=red size=3><b>home of the Manneken Pis</b></font>

Brussels... it really takes an incredible amount of ingenuity to believe that a city which has as one of its most famous landmarks a pissing man would be a great city. Well, ingenuity is possibly my second name, because I went there full of expectations .

Here's the story: I got off the train, headed straight for the main square, found it incredibly charming... then walked about, walked about even more, took buses, got off buses, saw some beautiful things... and in general I was pretty much disappointed.

To be fair: Bruxelles is not entirely ugly but it is too spread out... places of interests are far apart, with nothing much than unssuming concrete in between. In my opinion it really lacks the basic qualities to make it a "real" european city: compactness and overall widespread charm.

Just as the ultimate insult, I guess, it was chosen as headquarters of the European Union: a notion both insulting and grotesque; I really wonder why Europe should be represented by possibly one of the least European cities of all. The explanation of this mistery clearly fails me.

• Intro Written Sep 11, 2002

call_me_rhia

“... traveling is not a destination ...”

Badges & Stats in Brussels

Have you been to Brussels?

Latest Activity in Brussels