Lofoten Favorite Tips by call_me_rhia Top 5 Page for this destination
Lofoten Favorites: 9 reviews and 12 photos
landscape at Kabelvag
Favorite thing: The Lofoten are a group of islands in Northen Norway. Their economy is based on tourism in summer and on cod (stockfish) in winter. From December to April cods leave the cold waters of the Barents Sea in millions to come to the Lofoten Islands more temperate shores to spawn: at the same time fishermen from all over Norway move temporarily here to fish them. What about summer? I believe it‘s the dramatic way the sea meets the mountains that attracts visitors here. The peaks are high, rugged and rocky, steep, barren, grey: little grows on them, other than saxyphrage and the occasional patch of green grass. They are like solitary sentinels looking out towards the sea. Where the mountains finish, the sea starts abruptly unexpected. The waters are crystal clear and painted in all possible hues of blue and green, interrupted only by the occasional deserted beaches or coves, of immaculate white sand. Beaches like one would not expect to see here... beaches that would look appropriate in the tropics only. In between mountains and sea human kind struggled to conquer a place to live on and to inhabit. Often people could find no appropriate ground and had to settle for the rocky shores, building their red Rorbus on precarious stilts, like the racks where they used to hang their cods to dry before selling them as stockfish.
Fondest memory: Many - Stamsund with his great hiking opportunities - A i Lofoten for the general charm and the excellent outdoor museum - Steine for great scenery and food, Kabelvag for more amazing landscapes and museums - Ramberg for its perfect crescent beach... and all the wonderful locations in between and around. There's perfect beauty in the Lfotoen islands
More Reviews (13)
- See All all about cod...
- Getting there: hurtigruten
- See All Kabelvag
- See All a hostel in a museum, A i Lofoten
call_me_rhia's Related Pages
Lofoten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Dream of Lofoten"
- "under construction"
- "Wonderful Lofoten"
- "Welcome to Lofoten Islands!"
- "Lofoten - Storybook Scenery"
- "The Lofoten Islands"
- "The Shark Teeth Rock Wall in Northern Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lofoten
- Hotels in Lofoten
- Transportation in Lofoten
- Nightlife in Lofoten
- Restaurants in Lofoten
- Shopping in Lofoten
- Warnings and Dangers in Lofoten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lofoten
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Lofoten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lofoten
Photos in LofotenSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 45 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 33 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 39 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manama Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos
- Doha Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues