"Al Qayrawn, the Holy City" Kairouan by call_me_rhia
Kairouan Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 457 photos
Founded in 670, capital of Tunisia until the 12th century, Kairouan was under the Aghlabide dynasty in the 9th century. Today it's the first holy city of the Maghreb. Because of its rich architectural heritage since 1988 it's inscribed in Unesco World heritage list
Paul Klee (1879-1940), a Swiss-born artist, travelled to Tunisia in 1914 for 14 days with August Macke and Louis Moilliet. While there he felt "intoxicated" by its lights and colours - its when he returned home that he started to call himself an artist. He said: "Color has taken possession of me; no longer do I have to chase after it, I know that it has hold of me forever. That is the significance of this blessed moment. Color and I are one. I am a painter." Some of his paintings show scenes of Kairouan: a famous one is called "before the gates of Kairouan", another is "view of Kairouan"
August Macke was a German painter born in 1887. He was killed in 1914 in World War I, when he was 27. During his short artistic career he made several trips to Paris, where he came in contact with impressionism, and met several fauvist and cubist painters and exhibited with the Blaue Reiter group. In 1914 he traveled with Paul Klee to Tunisia, where he fine created watercolors using soft pastel tones and prismatic patterns. He painted Kairouan from several angles and perspectives: two of his most famous works are Kairouan I and kairouan III.
- In a nutshell:amazing architecture
August Macke was a German painter born in 1887. He was killed in 1914 in World War I, when he was 27. During his short... more travel advice
Alloucha is a "rough" carpet of natural wool which uses mainly natural colours like white, beige, black, and all hues... more travel advice
Written Sep 11, 2002
Paul Klee's and August Macke's Kairouan
Written Sep 11, 2002
photos of kairouan
call_me_rhia's Related Pages
Kairouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tunisia's Religious Centre"
- "Kairouan, the Holy City"
- "A city of mosques but also much more..."
- "KAIROUAN-Sacred city"
- "Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City"
- "My favourite city, full of culture!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kairouan
- Hotels in Kairouan
- Transportation in Kairouan
- Nightlife in Kairouan
- Restaurants in Kairouan
- Shopping in Kairouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kairouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kairouan
- 10 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Kairouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kairouan
Photos in KairouanSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 45 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 33 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 39 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manama Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos
- Doha Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Kairouan hotel reviews
- Hotel La Kasbah
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013