"Al Qayrawn, the Holy City" Kairouan by call_me_rhia

Kairouan Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 457 photos

Founded in 670, capital of Tunisia until the 12th century, Kairouan was under the Aghlabide dynasty in the 9th century. Today it's the first holy city of the Maghreb. Because of its rich architectural heritage since 1988 it's inscribed in Unesco World heritage list

Kairouan in art: Paul Klee

Paul Klee (1879-1940), a Swiss-born artist, travelled to Tunisia in 1914 for 14 days with August Macke and Louis Moilliet. While there he felt "intoxicated" by its lights and colours - its when he returned home that he started to call himself an artist. He said: "Color has taken possession of me; no longer do I have to chase after it, I know that it has hold of me forever. That is the significance of this blessed moment. Color and I are one. I am a painter." Some of his paintings show scenes of Kairouan: a famous one is called "before the gates of Kairouan", another is "view of Kairouan"

Kairouan in art: August macke

August Macke was a German painter born in 1887. He was killed in 1914 in World War I, when he was 27. During his short artistic career he made several trips to Paris, where he came in contact with impressionism, and met several fauvist and cubist painters and exhibited with the Blaue Reiter group. In 1914 he traveled with Paul Klee to Tunisia, where he fine created watercolors using soft pastel tones and prismatic patterns. He painted Kairouan from several angles and perspectives: two of his most famous works are Kairouan I and kairouan III.

• In a nutshell:amazing architecture
  • Last visit to Kairouan: Jan 2002
  • Intro Written Sep 11, 2002

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 2:51 PM

I like your Paul Klee and August Macke travelogue. Where can you see these pictures? Is it in Kairouan? I must have missed it during my visit.

• LarsLous's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2004 at 11:19 AM

A very special place indeed.

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2003 at 10:43 AM

Your picts look like scenes from some of our movies. The art and history are reasons enough to visit. Is this a place you would like to teach?

• dabuwan's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2003 at 9:36 AM

Bella pagina! Ma l'hai fumato il nargileh?

• heplion's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2002 at 12:32 AM

Nice pictures! Someone told me that the only three holy cities listed in the Koran are Mecca, Bukhara and Mas al Shareaf?

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2002 at 8:27 AM

hai trovato il tappeto magico?

call_me_rhia

“... traveling is not a destination ...”

Badges & Stats in Kairouan

Have you been to Kairouan?

Latest Activity in Kairouan