"my first medina... how can I forget it?" Tozeur by call_me_rhia
Tozeur Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 246 photos
If there's one thing i'll never forget of Tozeur is the silence that permeated the air - not a hostile silence - just one of deep tranquillity.
As a teenager I used to listen to this sogn by Franco Battiato, an Italian songwriter, about the trains of Tozeur... the name had a mystical spell... For years I longed to go there, and when i eventually made it there, the trains had long gone.
Aside from not getting to see the train, I remember some highlights.. hard to say.. the most obvious highlight would be the particular architecture - really bizarre. My personal highlight was the Medina - my very first Medina - it looked like anything I would have expected - if i had only known what to expect.
My first desert hike: it was like a trip back into childhood and innocence. We started off in a more or less straight line - we just enjoy walking on the sand and found it less soft than we had imagined... our feet did not sink - it was fairly compact. When this novelty had work off we started selecting where to go according to the height of the dunes: we were always looking for a larger one "to conquer" - and there was always a larger one to reach. At some point we realized the search would be never-ending - so we started to select the next dune according to its shape: we wanted to slide downhill (downdune?) as if we were sking. At the end of the day we were looking for the one with the softest sand, to just ie down and roll on it.
- Pros:stunning local architecture
About 40 kilometres away from tozeur, along am unpaved track (and sometimes driving above high dunes) one can reach the... more travel advice
the hotel.. nothing remarkable.. except for some lovely flowers and a wonderful swimming-pool. However it was winter and... more travel advice
call_me_rhia's Related Pages
Tozeur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oasis of Tozeur"
- "Our favourite town in Tunisia"
- "my first medina... how can I forget it?"
- "The nice brick patterns"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tozeur
- Hotels in Tozeur
- Transportation in Tozeur
- Nightlife in Tozeur
- Restaurants in Tozeur
- Shopping in Tozeur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tozeur
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Tozeur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tozeur
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 45 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 33 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 39 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manama Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos
- Doha Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues