"my first medina... how can I forget it?" Tozeur by call_me_rhia

Tozeur Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 215 photos

If there's one thing i'll never forget of Tozeur is the silence that permeated the air - not a hostile silence - just one of deep tranquillity.

the trains of Tozeur

As a teenager I used to listen to this sogn by Franco Battiato, an Italian songwriter, about the trains of Tozeur... the name had a mystical spell... For years I longed to go there, and when i eventually made it there, the trains had long gone.
Aside from not getting to see the train, I remember some highlights.. hard to say.. the most obvious highlight would be the particular architecture - really bizarre. My personal highlight was the Medina - my very first Medina - it looked like anything I would have expected - if i had only known what to expect.

hiking in the desert

My first desert hike: it was like a trip back into childhood and innocence. We started off in a more or less straight line - we just enjoy walking on the sand and found it less soft than we had imagined... our feet did not sink - it was fairly compact. When this novelty had work off we started selecting where to go according to the height of the dunes: we were always looking for a larger one "to conquer" - and there was always a larger one to reach. At some point we realized the search would be never-ending - so we started to select the next dune according to its shape: we wanted to slide downhill (downdune?) as if we were sking. At the end of the day we were looking for the one with the softest sand, to just ie down and roll on it.

• Pros:stunning local architecture
  • Last visit to Tozeur: Jan 2002
  • Intro Written Sep 12, 2002

Travelogues (1)

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 12:18 AM

would have loved to spend more time in Tozeur - I wanted to get a p;ic of that vase for starters! The hike must have been fantastic!

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Magic comments, Rhia! I will saviour the tastes and smells your writing permeates and try to find them during my next trip to Tunisia. Take care! Barone

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 10:43 AM

Tozeur is a wonderful place. I can still remember the town and the museum. Lovely page !!

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 3:51 AM

Great pics Rhia,... great comments. Have to check it al, thanks for sharing greetzzz RoyJava

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2004 at 9:04 PM

I understand you are another Tozeur lover ! Instead of train of Tozeur, you should ride the Red Lizzard of Metlaoui into the Seldja gorge. I did it, it's superb !

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2003 at 9:38 PM

Cool Cool Page!!!

• Kajron's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2003 at 11:54 AM

Grande Battiato e i treni di Tozeurs!
    IO voglio vedere invece la Prospettiva Nevski!

• Dec 9, 2002 at 3:09 AM

very nice page.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2002 at 11:56 AM

walking on the moon ? or walking on the dune ? with star ars all around.

• titti's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2002 at 2:08 PM

viaggiaaaaaano lenti i treni per Tozeuuuuur.....
    ma intorno c'eran tante farfalline!

call_me_rhia

“... traveling is not a destination ...”

Badges & Stats in Tozeur