"touching the sky of pleasure" Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus by call_me_rhia

Damascus Travel Guide: 820 reviews and 2,205 photos

the legendary damascus
charming, enchanting, captivating

HIGHLIGHTS

a very charming old town
fairytale traditional palaces
incredibly colourful souqs
great mosques and shrines
tales of the legendary Saladin

TRAVELOGUES

souq al-hamidiyya and other souqs
night tales from Damascus
the great omayyad mosque
Sayyida Ruqayya Shrine and Mausoleum
day out of town: Bosra

• Pros:incredible beauty at every corner
  • Cons:there really aren't any con's
  • In a nutshell:the oldest inhabited city in the world
  • Last visit to Damascus: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2003

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 8:37 AM

After seeing Aleppo, I've been a great Syria fan, and there's no way I should miss Damascus. Thanks for these great pages on this great city. 2008, Damascus' year as the city of Arab culture, should be a great time to see Damascus.

• Aug 10, 2007 at 6:49 AM

it's called mahalabia, and is indeed delicious! if only they were twice the size! it's a milk based desert, sweet, and set a bit like jelly (or jello if you're that way inclined).

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM

Great travel writing. Don't suppose I'll get there myself any time soon, so it's good to have you as my armchair guide.

• Jul 3, 2005 at 2:11 PM

I agree with your opinion on Sultan Hotel. There's also 1 double room without a bathroom downstairs. It's my favourite! It's big, shady and with balcony and only 16 dollars.

• morsonica's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 8:27 AM

Hey!I am planing to move to Damascus on september,and i was just thinking if traveling alone is safe for women in Syria,and saw ur tip and i felt relieved!thanks a lot!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2005 at 9:20 AM

Damascus is a lovely city and I'm happy I will go there again! Great photos and tips I enjoyed reading!

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2003 at 9:58 AM

Your pages are interesting, filled with a history of the places u visited ! now i know what to look for when i go there in april! :) very well done.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 9:15 AM

Benone....in mezza giornata le cose che mi interessano di piu' si possono fare!

• Sep 2, 2003 at 1:51 PM

Visiting and meeting my family in Syria for first time at the end of September. Had no idea what to expect. Great pages and info. Thx!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2003 at 5:47 PM

Fantastic page with all sorts of info I never knew about Damascus.

call_me_rhia

“... traveling is not a destination ...”

Badges & Stats in Damascus

Have you been to Damascus?

Latest Activity in Damascus