Ma`lula Local Custom Tips by call_me_rhia Top 5 Page for this destination
Ma`lula Local Customs: 4 reviews and 4 photos
an aramean document
Maalula is really a strange place: I wrote before that people of different faiths go there on a pilgrimage, or that different religious denominations coexist under the same roof, peacefully. On top of this, the little village presents another peculiarity: the language! Although all people are taught arabci at school, the native language of the inhabitants, and the one they commonly use, is Aramean - supposedly the language spoken by Jesus. And it's quite a musical languahe to listen to.
at the holy well, santa tecla
Deir Mar Takla, Santa Tecla monastery - a place where there's a well containing healing waters. I've heard two different sides of the story: the first is that this water helps healing illnesses, and the second says that drinking this water has the power to make woman pregnant and to "remove" sterility from men. The great thing about it is that place is "sacred" both for Christians and Muslims - very refreshing - and when I went there, there were many young couples making their pilgrimage to the "holy" well.
inside deir mar sarkis
The little old church inside the deir mar sarkis (saint sergius and bacchus) monastery is quite asotnishing. First of all there was a temple dedicated to the god Apollo, then a church was built onto it, incorporating elements of the temple (look out for the columns). The beautiful altar icons come from Greece, but the saints are portrayed holding books written in aramean. As for the faith of the church, it's both Catholic and Orthodox. How more confusing can it get?
More Reviews (10)
call_me_rhia's Related Pages
Ma`lula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "paint me blue"
- "A Tiny and Different Town in Syria"
- "Our father in Armenic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ma`lula
- Hotels in Ma`lula
- Transportation in Ma`lula
- Restaurants in Ma`lula
- Shopping in Ma`lula
- Warnings and Dangers in Ma`lula
- See All...
Explore the World
- Inampulugan Island Hotels
- Jim Thorpe Hotels
- Castlelyons Hotels
- Det Udom Hotels
- Lipa City
Badges & Stats in Ma`lula
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Ma`lula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ma`lula
Photos in Ma`lulaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 45 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 33 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 39 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manama Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos
- Doha Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues