"the jar makers village" Ban Xiang-Ay by call_me_rhia
Ban Xiang-Ay Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 14 photos
The first hut on the right, at the entrance of the village, it's your first compulsory stop. This is where the distillery is located. Some old battered black plastic buckets are scattered on the ground under the thatched roof.
inside some veggies and rice are being soaked in dirty water, a rusty kettle is boiling, out of which comes Lao Khao Kam, a syrupy red rice wine, and the proper Lao Lao. Under the next thattched hut there's a little table where u can taste (and obviously buy) these fine speciality.
A real building... built of stones and cement. a unique sight in the village... it's the pharmacy... it was sort of opened.. meaning that the window was opened and you just had to go there and buy whatever you needed. Of course, if there was soemthing to buy.
I stole a glimpse inside: in comparison the sahara desert is incredibly populared. Some band aids, a couple of obscure bottles, and plenty of spidernets... nothing else, nothing more.
The village's school, and if it had not been for the children I probably would have overlooked it or missed it. A floor on stilts, a leaking roof, 2 old wooden benches, 3 posters depicting the human body. No chalks, no blackboard.
And the kids... the kids were lovely: they were having a break and running about the classroom, their teachers looked at them carelessly. Everyone looked happy, unstressed - all I could think of is: I want to work here. leaving was very hard.
- Pros:lao lao rice liqueur
call_me_rhia's Related Pages
Ban Xiang-Ay Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ban Xiang-Ay
- 1 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Ban Xiang-Ay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Xiang-Ay
Photos in Ban Xiang-AySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 45 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 43 reviews, 95 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 33 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 39 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manama Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos
- Doha Intro, 26 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues