"Lafayette, in the heart of Cajun Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Lafayette by Helga67

Lafayette Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 155 photos

LAFAYETTE, 135 miles northwest of New Orleans on I-10, is geographically central in Cajun country, and is the key city for its oil business. Originally named Vermilionville, after the orangey bayou nearby, it was renamed in 1844 in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette.
Today Lafayette is a quiet place, a city with a small-town feel and no real centre. It does, however, offer some lively Cajun history and good restaurants – and makes the best base for exploring the swamps, bayous and dance halls of the surrounding region.

We didn't have enough time to explore entire Lafayette, so on this page you'll only find information about Vermilionville, a living history museum and folklife village, something you really need to see when visiting Lafayette.

• Last visit to Lafayette: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2003

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2004 at 5:43 AM

I grew up in New Orleans and now live in Lafayette. Your writeings are very well done. Especially the New Orleans warning.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2004 at 5:56 AM

I'm trying to remember if I've ever been through Lafayette, but this is certainly more Cajun and Creole than I've ever seen in Louisiana. Too much interstate driving, I'm afraid (in my American car).

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2004 at 7:12 PM

I slept through Lafayette:-( I would have liked to have seen Vermillionville. It sounds a great lesson in local life and culture. Great page - makes me regret that we didn't have time to stop.

• ABL1958's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2003 at 5:53 AM

I live in Baton Rouge now and think I MUST visit Lafayette now that I've seen your page! Good information---thank you.

• Kentbein's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2003 at 10:13 AM

Hi Helga. Your page here about Vermillion Island is great. Of all the time I lived across the Miss. River, I never visited Layfayette. What an oversight! I've got to go there some day!

• btex's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2003 at 1:15 PM

very good pics of Lafayette. that red beans and rice looks good!!

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2003 at 4:13 AM

Great page. I love the Cajun music - I even have some CD's of it - but no way you'll catch me dancing :-P

• Jun 8, 2003 at 9:30 PM

I intend to use this page as a reference during my next visit to Lafayette this summer. Thanks for the well of info.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2003 at 3:12 PM

Those early Acadian settlers must have been shocked by the heat in the summers down in Louisiana. Did you like the Zydeco music? Great page!

• funkymama's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 11:12 AM

Ik hou ook niet van rode bonen:-) Wonderful page,looks like a great place to visit:-)

Helga67

“While there is life there is travel”

Badges & Stats in Lafayette

Have you been to Lafayette?

Latest Activity in Lafayette