Kos Favorite Tips by Helga67 Top 5 Page for this destination
Kos Favorites: 35 reviews and 41 photos
Church of Ayia Paraskevi
Favorite thing: On a terrace behind the market place (Platia Eleftherias) stands a lovely Byzantine church. It's not a very big church but the most interesting to visit in Kos town.
Local Government Building
Favorite thing: The building between the Castle and road along the coast is the local government building and police office. It was built in 1928 by the Italians, who at that time were occupying the island.
Favorite thing: Next to the plane tree of Hippocrates stands the 18th century mosque of Hassan Pasha. It is also known as the Loggia Mosque.
Favorite thing: A remarkable building on the Eleftheria Square is the18th century Defterdar Mosque. It is still used by the 50 Muslim families mostly living in the nearby Platani town. It is not open to the public. In front of the mosque is a lovely cafe.
Fountain at Platea Platanou
Favorite thing: At Platea Platanou, in front of the entrance to the Castle of the Knights stands a huge plane tree. It is supported by some kind of scaffolding because the tree is very old. Some say that Hippocrates often sat under this tree to teach his students medicine. However, the tree could never been that old. Normally it can get about 400 years old. Next to the tree you will find a lovely fountain. The fountain was used by the muslims for washing before entering the Loggia mosque.
Favorite thing: Eleftherias Square lies in the old town and close to the harbour. It's a bustling square with cafes, a museum, the municipal market and the Defterdar mosque. Around are many streets with mainly souvenir shops.
Favorite thing: The harbour is a nice place to walk along the promenade, which will lead you from dolphin square to the castle and beyond. There are many colourful fishing boats and yachts for day trips. Along the promenade across the street you can have something to drink or eat in one of the many cafes and restaurants.
Palm tree avenue
Fondest memory: Palm tree Avenue is the most beautiful street in Kos town. This avenue lined by huge palm trees brings you from the castle to the centre of town. There is a stone bridge that crosses over Palm tree Avenue from Platea Platanou (where Hipprocates plane tree is), over the former moat to the castle entrance.
More Reviews (10)
Helga67's Related Pages
Kos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kos Town"
- "Kos Town"
- "Kos, Capital of Kos Island"
- "A BEAUTIFUL GREEK ISLAND"
- "Kos, Greece"
- "I can see Turkey from here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kos
- Hotels in Kos
- Transportation in Kos
- Nightlife in Kos
- Restaurants in Kos
- Shopping in Kos
- Warnings and Dangers in Kos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kos
- 18 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Kos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kos
Photos in KosSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 111 reviews, 186 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 64 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hasselt Intro, 73 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 56 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 52 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 57 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues