Kos Island Local Custom Tips by Helga67 Top 5 Page for this destination
Kos Island Local Customs: 9 reviews and 21 photos
In restaurants it is common to leave a tip of 5 to 10% on the table.
A cleaning lady gets 0.50 EUR per day and you should round up your amount for a taxi.
Tsaziki: yogurt with cucumber dip
Mezedakia: plate with different appetizers
Thalassina: plate with different seafood
a family of wild cats
You will see a lot of wild cats in Kos. They live in the parks and the archeological sites. I have the impression that local people take good care of them. At places where there were a lot of cats, usually you could find some food too. Sometimes there is box where you can donate some money for food.
Kos has a mild climate. In summer it rarely gets hotter than 35°C and in winter it doesn't get below 0°C. The north-east side of the island has a rich vegetation as it has plenty of water and in the south-west it is dry.
Best time to visit: May - September
Fredochino and Frape
Wine: retsina: it's a white wine flavoured with resin of the Aleppo pine tree.
Water: soda or nero (with or without bubbles)
Coffee: frape (cold coffee with froth); Greek coffee (very strong), Fredochino (cold capucchino). Always tell the waiter how you'd like your coffee: with or without milk, no sugar, a little or much sugar.
Metaxa: Greek brandy
Ouzo: an anise drink served with or without water
Beer: Alpha or Mythos
Kefalos - south coast
Kos has no lifeguards, you are responsible for your own safety.
Many hotels, tavernas and beach bars rent out sunbeds and parasols. You will pay between 4 to 6 euros for two chairs and a parasol for a whole day.
Kos is the island of Hippocrates. He is the father of medicine.
Hippocrates was born on Kos in 460 BC. He was the greatest of the ancient physicians who introduced the systematic classification of medicine and was the first person to treat sickness in a methodical manner.
More Reviews (29)
Helga67's Related Pages
Kos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short name, long vacation :)"
- "Island of Hippocrates"
- "THE GREEK ISLAND OF KOS"
- "Kos Island, a wonderful island."
- "Kos town"
- "About the Dodecanese islands and Kos"
- "Kos, a dream for all the travellers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kos Island
- Hotels in Kos Island
- Transportation in Kos Island
- Nightlife in Kos Island
- Restaurants in Kos Island
- Shopping in Kos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Kos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kos Island
- 36 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Kos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kos Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 111 reviews, 186 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 64 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hasselt Intro, 73 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 56 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 52 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 57 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
Latest Kos Island hotel reviews
- Neptune Hotels Resort and Convention Centre and Spa
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013