Santorini Island Favorite Tips by Helga67
Santorini Island Favorites: 146 reviews and 269 photos
Fondest memory: The island is famous for its sunsets. They are indeed gorgeous. Depending on the weather conditions the sunsets differ from day to day. So if you are staying at the Caldera side of the island you can enjoy the sunsets day after day in another light.
Favorite thing: I loved the picturesque whitewashed villages on the top of impressively high cliffs with the small white cubed houses with blue doors and windows and caves built in the hill. This was so typical for the island.
Favorite thing: Most beaches on Santorini are black lava sandy beaches and are located on the east side of the island. The most famous ones are in Perissa and Kamari.
However, I liked especially the Red Beach, near Akrotiri. It is located in a quitter area in the southern part of the island. The beach is composed of black and red volcanic rocks.
It can only be reached by boat or private car. From the parking lot you still need to walk over a rocky path towards the beach.
There is a kiosk with drinks on the parking lot.
Volcano seen from the hotel
Favorite thing: Santorini used to be a round island, but during an earthquake and volcano-outbreak in the 15th century BC the middle of the island sunk and gave it the shape it has today.
The volcano that you can see opposite Fira is still active. The last eruption was in 1956, causing an earthquake that destroyed many villages on the island.
Today you can make a boat excursion to the volcano: walking on the lava and swimming in the hot springs.
More Reviews (24)
- See All By boat
- Don't forget ...
- See All Stani tavern
- See All Local food and drinks
Helga67's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 28 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
- Posted in Travel Belgium Forum "Re: Where in Belgium?"
- updated a Santorini Island Travelogue "Volcano View Hotel and Villas"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Local food and drinks"
- Wrote a Review By boat about Ferries and boats in Santorini Island Transportation
- Commented on one of sandysmith's Santorini Island travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 111 reviews, 186 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 64 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hasselt Intro, 73 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 56 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 52 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 57 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (20)
- Oia Village- 102 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Volcano- 40 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Red Beach- 22 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Pyrgos Village- 22 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Sunsets- 14 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Akrotiri Excavations- 24 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Wine Tasting- 21 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Kamari Beach- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Fira- 33 Reviews, 127 Photos
- Mule Path- 14 Reviews, 39 Photos
See All Santorini Island Things to Do