"'t Stad: My Antwerp" Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp by Helga67
Antwerp Travel Guide: 2,899 reviews and 7,169 photos
Antwerp:"It's easy to get to, you see countless different nationalities together in the market place and you can find whatever you might want."
This description is still perfectly apt in the 21st century, but the words themselves stem from the 16th century, when master printer Christopher Plantin was explaining to Pope Gregory XIII why he had set up his printing works in Antwerp. In the 17th century, the city was visited by Sir Dudley Carleton. As English ambassador to Italy and afterwards to the northern Low Countries, he was a much-travelled man and so his judgement may be trusted when he described Antwerp as, "This is undoubtedly the most beautiful city I have ever seen".
Another hundred years on, the Mozarts passed through the city. Wolfgang played the cathedral organ and father Leopold noted, "I have never seen so much white and black marble and such a wealth of wonderful paintings, mainly by Rubens."
In the 19th century, Victor Hugo was surprised that as he stepped back to get a good view of one monument he would collide with another. "This city is delightful" he wrote.
See yourself as one of a long line of famous visitors to the biggest city in Flanders. Discover for yourself this effervescent trading, artistic and cultural centre with its typical atmosphere of a port for the ships of the world: cosmopolitan, slightly exotic and at the same time so hospitable. You'll feel at home straight away, since life is good in the city and your hosts, the Antwerp 'Signors', still have a strong Burgundian feel for high living. They'll look after you ... and maybe even quote you some day.
- In a nutshell:A Multicultural City
Spaghettiworld is situated in an old mansion and still contains some original features. The walls, however, have been... more travel advice
Once this place was a storehouse, later a garage, now it is a funky Thai restaurant. Except for the dragon on the... more travel advice
- See All Shopping paradise
- See All Night clubs, exotic restaurants and...
- Jewellery stores around Central Station
- See All ART NOUVEAU
- See All HIDDEN ALLEYS
Helga67's Related Pages
Antwerp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Drink the Elixir!"
- "Antwerp and area, viewed through the camera"
- "The biggest city of Flanders"
- "Pampered in Antwerp and a Bangelijke meeting :)"
- "'t Stad: My Antwerp"
- "More impressions of Antwerp"
- "VT meetings and pubcrawls in Antwerp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antwerp
- Hotels in Antwerp
- Transportation in Antwerp
- Nightlife in Antwerp
- Restaurants in Antwerp
- Shopping in Antwerp
- Warnings and Dangers in Antwerp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antwerp
- 111 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 220 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Antwerp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antwerp
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 111 reviews, 186 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 64 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 41 reviews, 134 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santorini Island Intro, 28 reviews, 142 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hasselt Intro, 73 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 56 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 38 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 52 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 57 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues