"'t Stad: My Antwerp" Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp by Helga67

Antwerp Travel Guide: 2,897 reviews and 7,167 photos

Antwerp:"It's easy to get to, you see countless different nationalities together in the market place and you can find whatever you might want."

This description is still perfectly apt in the 21st century, but the words themselves stem from the 16th century, when master printer Christopher Plantin was explaining to Pope Gregory XIII why he had set up his printing works in Antwerp. In the 17th century, the city was visited by Sir Dudley Carleton. As English ambassador to Italy and afterwards to the northern Low Countries, he was a much-travelled man and so his judgement may be trusted when he described Antwerp as, "This is undoubtedly the most beautiful city I have ever seen".
Another hundred years on, the Mozarts passed through the city. Wolfgang played the cathedral organ and father Leopold noted, "I have never seen so much white and black marble and such a wealth of wonderful paintings, mainly by Rubens."
In the 19th century, Victor Hugo was surprised that as he stepped back to get a good view of one monument he would collide with another. "This city is delightful" he wrote.

See yourself as one of a long line of famous visitors to the biggest city in Flanders. Discover for yourself this effervescent trading, artistic and cultural centre with its typical atmosphere of a port for the ships of the world: cosmopolitan, slightly exotic and at the same time so hospitable. You'll feel at home straight away, since life is good in the city and your hosts, the Antwerp 'Signors', still have a strong Burgundian feel for high living. They'll look after you ... and maybe even quote you some day.

• In a nutshell:A Multicultural City
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2006

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

A great Antwerp page and excellent resto tips....

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Nice tips and photos. I enjoyed my visit to Antwerp and hope to return sometime during the opera season.

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Groetjes Helga, Very nice pages and photos. Lots of excellent information as well. Antwerp is a wonderful city that I need to spend more than two days visiting. Hopefully that will happen in 2012. Cheers, Don

• May 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Most horrible restaurant visit ever. 1 of 2 drink orders were wrong. all our dishes served wrong. And because we ate the second round of wrong dishes we had to pay double price of what we ordered. And unfriendly service. Don't go there!

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 5:04 AM

Wonderful tips about restaurants ( I was a little bit hungry and read them with yummy pleasure :-)) If I'll ever come again to Antwerp I know where find eating informations !

• mari_ccs's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Hello Helga!! I wonder if you could help. My husband is in Antwerpen and doesn't speak Flemish. Do you know where I could find a translation from English to Flemish of the basic kinds of food? Greetings from Venezuela, Maria Elena.

• stfa's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 3:45 AM

Nice tips keep up the good work sis, u must love it.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM

////

• jasmine_ding's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad to offer any useful help. You made so many vt meetings, great!

• Eiji's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 5:43 AM

i enjoyedour your nice photos! i d like to visit Antwerp. i visited Belgium before.

Helga67 Visits Here Frequently!

Helga67

“While there is life there is travel”

Badges & Stats in Antwerp

Have you been to Antwerp?

Latest Activity in Antwerp