"Not only beaches, sand and sun..." Top 5 Page for this destination Balearic Islands by russian_yaz
Balearic Islands Travel Guide: 3,062 reviews and 8,199 photos
Balearic Islands is not only beaches, night clubs and discos... take a journey into my pages and find lot of amanzing places to explore:
- The capital of this region, and main touristic destination Palma de Mallorca
- Soller, a wonderfull town in the Tramuntana Sierra
- Valldemosa Where Chopin and George Sand spended sometime together
- Deiá Robert Graves graveyard and beloved place. His grave is on the top of the hill on the town
- Andratx a well known town 30km from Palma. Don't miss the delicious mango ice creams
- Banyalbufar Great place to enjoy a sunset from the nearby Ses Animes tower where the seashore view is spectacular
- Estellencs a small town on the mountains nearby the sea, great views and quiet streets
- Esporles a small and peacefull town in the Tramuntana Serra, a typical place to begin hiking trought the mountains
- Pollenca wonderfull beach and beatifull places to visit
- Alcudia roman remainings and ancient walls will take U 2 millenium back on the island history
- Cap de Formentor nature sometimes can be amanzing
- Natural park of Cabrera Archipelago pure nature, amanzing sea life and quiet places. A place untouched by humans hands
- Cala Figuera, full of "calas" where to swim
- Bunyola and the nearby town Orient
- Alaro and it's wonderfull view from the Alaro castle
- Santa Maria in the borders of the Serra Tramuntana enjoy the delicous wines and walk the streets
- Dragonera Island 8 km from Andraitx U'll find Sant Elm, a small town and 500 meteres from it, Dragonera Island shows all its splendor with 3 lighthouses and amanzing sunsets
- Puigpuyent crossroads in the mountains
- Galilea enjoy the quietness of this town with the 1000 meters heigh Galatzo mountain nearby
- Capdella near Andraitx this little town welcome U
- Algaida Small town in the Majorcan plains. It has a beatifull fiestas honoring Sant Honorat
- Caimari In your way to the Lluc Santuary U'll find this quiet town, enjoy Majorca as it used to be without tourists 50 years ago
- Escorca home of the highest peaks in the Balearic Islands, pilgrimage place to Lluc santuary and also it has the natural phenomenon Torrent de Pareis
- Llucmajor a small town in the middle of the plains
- Randa go to the top of Randa hill, up there's a santuary and the view of the plains is amanzing
The sun, the tranquillity of its coves, its transparent waters, its diversity, its balmy climate, and an endless succession of scenery that has everything except monotony, where every single corner has its own special charm.
From the steep slopes of the high peaks of the Serra de Tramuntana in Mallorca, the wide variety of habitats in the S'Albufera des Grau Nature Reserve in Mahon, the delightful scenery of Ses Salines in Ibiza to the sandy havens of peace in Formentera, the Balearic Islands are an inexhaustible source for all those who would like to instill its essence and drain it in a single draught.
Each island is a microcosmos with its own individual personality, gifted with singular richness.
The Islands have always been popular with numerous personalities from the political, social and cultural worlds. Such people as the Archduke Ludwig Salvatore of Austria, Chopin, J.B. Lawrence, Errol Flynn, Winston Churchill, Rubén Dario, Robert Graves (buried in the beatifull tonw of Deiá)and Joan Miró visited or resided in the Islands.
Now days Hollywood celebrities as Michel Douglas and and Catherine Zeta-Jones also choose these island as their destination.
Total land area: 5,040.29 km2
Coastline: 1,428 km
Highest point: 1,445 m (Puig Major, Mallorca)
Average annual temperature: 18.4 ºC
Average annual hours of sunshine: 2,850.54
Population: 878,627 inhabitants
The total surface area of the Balearic Islands is 5,040.29 Km2, of which the majority corresponds to a Mallorca, with 3,640 Km2 (72.6%). Minorca has a surface area 716 Km2 (10.8%), Ibiza 572.6 Km2 (10.8%), and Formentera 83.2 Km2 (1.6%).
The Balearic Islands are the most easterly region of Spain. They represent 0.99% of Spanish territory, excluding Ceuta and Melilla, and are located in the centre of the western Mediterranean Sea. Their geographical location lies between Latitude 40º05'39" and 38º38'25" North and Longitude 1º11'16" and 4º19'38" East.
The Balearic Archipelago presents remarkably varied scenery. As for its orographical features, Mallorca presents a combination of mountain ranges (Tramuntana and Llevant) and plains (el Migjorn and es Pla). In Minorca, in spite of the apparent evenness of the terrain, the Tramuntana, of gentle hills, forms a contrast with es Migjorn, characterised by its flatness. Ibiza is notable for its two mountainous belts and extensive plains, whereas Formentera is the flattest of the Islands.
The Balearic Islands enjoy a Mediterranean climate, characterised by a moderate temperature throughout the year. The average annual temperature fluctuates between 16 and 17ºC. Average annual rainfall is moderate or scarce, more frequent in autumn, generally in October. In summer, the rainfall is practically non-existent. The winds vary in respect of the terrain and situation but those with a north component predominate in the cold season and those with an east component in the summer, with the addition of local breezes. Minorca and the eastern side of Mallorca are exposed to the entry of wind from the north which becomes the tramuntana, a cold and dry wind.
- Pros:Sun, beach, beatifull coastlines and endless path to choose from
- Cons:On high season the great number of tourists is annoying
- In a nutshell:Wonderfull islands with mountains, calas, cliffs and sealife
In the main city, Palma de Mallorca, don't miss the Cathedral. Is amazing how humans 8 centuries ago could build such... more travel advice
There are 3 different companies that travel to the Balearic Islands and of course Palma de Mallorca, the main city. The... more travel advice
russian_yaz's Related Pages
Balearic Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALA RAJADA MALLORCA AT ITS BEST"
- "Not only beaches, sand and sun..."
- "Islands of Beautiful Sceneries"
- "Mild Archipelago"
- "Main Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Balearic Islands
- Hotels in Balearic Islands
- Transportation in Balearic Islands
- Nightlife in Balearic Islands
- Restaurants in Balearic Islands
- Shopping in Balearic Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Balearic Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Balearic Islands
- 216 Reviews
- 984 Photos
- 143 Forum posts
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Balearic Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balearic Islands
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 110 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 75 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 47 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balearic Islands Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 6 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 9 reviews, 67 photos, 7 travelogues
- Sóller Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valldemosa Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Deyá Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues