Alaró Things to Do Tips by russian_yaz
Alaró Things to Do: 1 reviews and 0 photos
On Sunday the 5th of October an interesting crafts fair is held in Alaró, where the great crafts masters throughout Mallorca congregate. Objects made in wood, iron, ceramic, glass and leather are among some of the goods that can be found in these stands.
Throughout the festival day the streets of Alaró centre become a large crafts market. It has been held for four years and about a hundred top artisans from all over the island come to exhibit and sell their works.
The village of Alaró occupies a key place in the tradition of leatherwork as one of its pioneers dating back to the creation of the Jaume Pizà workshop in 1880 which is still a reference point whenever the shoe industry is spoken about.
Leather is only one of the materials used by artisans in this guild fair. Others are wood, cloth, ceramic, iron and glass. The variety of creations there includes goods of every kind, ranging from articles of clothing to decorative and functional objects.
On this festive Sunday the whole village of Alaró has a very special look and smell. At nine in the morning the stands open and until the end of the afternoon the streets are a constant flow of visitors browsing the merchandise on display. A party atmosphere flourishes and no shortage of music adds mirth to the scene.
Smells are also important in this multicoloured space. Some stands are dedicated to gastronomic products from varying sources, though all from the earth. For instance, here you can find the most delicious “sobrasada” pork sausage from the porc negre, a black pig native to the Balearic Islands.
As well as popular foods, herbal and organic products take a prominent place. Aromatic honeys, exquisite oils, wines, dietary pastries and confectionery, and a wide selection of tasty dishes will whet the appetite of more than one passer-by.
russian_yaz's Related Pages
Alaró Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- Sand Hill Hotels
- Pirangut Hotels
- Olo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Alaró
- 1 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Alaró?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaró
Photos in AlaróSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 110 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 75 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 47 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balearic Islands Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 6 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 9 reviews, 67 photos, 7 travelogues
- Sóller Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valldemosa Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Deyá Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues