"Fornalutx, wonderful small town to visit" Fornalutx by russian_yaz
Fornalutx Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos
Situated in the heart of the Serra de Tramuntana, in a spectacular valley that starts from the Puig Major and descends towards Soller, Fornalutx can be found, considered to be one of the most singular villages on Mallorca together with Biniaraix and Soller. Because of its extraordinary beauty and enviable state of conservation, Fornalutx has received different prizes and recognition. In 1983 it was awarded by the the Mallorcan Tourism Board the Silver Plaque for the defence and maintenance of the village. The same year the General Secretary for Tourism gave it the Second National Price for Towns embellished and maintained in Spain. And in 1985 it received the Premi Alzina from the GOB.
The history of Fornalutx starts over 1000 years ago, when it was an Arab property. The population of the area started after the Catalan conquest and the present church was finished in 1639. Until 1813 it depended on the Parish of Soller and in 1837 it became an independent municipality.
The charms of Fornalutx are uncountable. The stone streets and steps of the old centre, carefully adorned with many pots and plants; the ancient stone houses and the doorways wide open; the lush vegetation on the mountain terraces and the orchards where the famous oranges are grown... The architectural group and the scenery are so interesting, that it is even difficult to appreciate it completely. It is important to take note of the eves of the houses to see the painted tiles, of "Arab tiles", an ancient tradition.
To cope with the numerous visits that Fornalutx receives regularly, the village has a varied and select offer for tourist accommodation and restaurants. With web pages, the restaurant Per Amunt, the apartments Sa Tanqueta, the interior hotels Ca'n Verdera, Fornalutx Petit Hotel and Ca'n Reus, plus the Hotel Ca'n Verdera of the Reis de Mallorca chain.
As for festivities, Fornalutx celebrates the patron saint fiesta on September 8. One of the particular elements of this fiesta is the group of events organised round the ox, an old tradition that was held in former times there and that the village has recovered.
Written May 9, 2016
Walking in Fornalutx
Written May 9, 2016
Just wondering in Fornalutx
russian_yaz's Related Pages
Fornalutx Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mallora's best kept secret"
- "Fornalutx, wonderful small town to visit"
- "The most beautiful village of Europe"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fornalutx
- 0 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Fornalutx?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fornalutx
Photos in FornalutxSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 110 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 75 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 47 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balearic Islands Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 6 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 9 reviews, 67 photos, 7 travelogues
- Sóller Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valldemosa Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Deyá Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues