Havana Transportation Tips by russian_yaz Top 5 Page for this destination
Havana Transportation: 92 reviews and 112 photos
Blue and white, U'll see them on the streets. Very crowded also, as the camellos. The ride is only 0.40 cents. If U plan to go on them, watch out for your bags, neclaces and photo camera, in case U have one. Better leave your stuff at home if U're planing to do this.
If U really wanna take a wide look into Cuba, better rent a ca. There are several different agencies, all of them government related so the prices are more or less the same. The best, in my opinion, are HavanaAutos or RentACar. Less than 1 year ago they renwed all their cars so right now U'll have th choice of brand new cars, toyotas, hyundais, daewo and others. If U are the ones that prefer hot rods, be prepared to pay more. In REX U'll have various options, Audi, Mercedez, Volvo and BMW.
U must show your passport and driver's license in order to rent a car. The driver must be at least 21 years old; the license could be international or from your country but at least a year old. It is not advisable to drive at night.
U must also watch out for animals on the road and cyclists in urban areas when you are driving. Park the car in a safe well-lit place and do not leave anything valuable in it. U are liable for traffic fines, failure to pay would mean incurring a debt with the State. There are special road maps, ask for them on the office where U rented the car, it will be ahndy some times.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Camello in Havana
In the section of selecting the appropriate type of transportation the camel, "el Camello" can go in trains, bus and subway :) Is a mix between all of them. Its long enough to compete with a train wagon, it carries as much people as a Metro and has rubber wheels as a bus.
If U plan to use one of these, be sure not to take anything with some importance. Take only the 20 cents U need to pay the camel. Inside is like hell, smelly, dirty, crowded, noisy...as cubans are.
There are 7 different lines, each one crosses havana from one part to the other. Usually they take up to one hour to go the first stop til the last. The first one created was the M3, that goes from Alamar until Ciudad Deportiva, across the Cerro, Luyano, 10 de Octubre, Regla, Guanabacoa, San Miguel and Alamar. The 3 first municipalities are the most populated in Havana.
Cost: 0.20 cents of cuban peso
Some ten years ago there where no camels, and the tranportation was a hell, as usual. The usual bus we had where red buses, usually donated from the ex-socialist countries. As U can see in the photo, to get on one of them was a only done by the most enthusiasts and brave citizens... ;) It was a nightmare, U can be sure. I went from one place to other in this crowded buese. Nowdays, there is the camel and the old cars as taxis.
U can walk around without danger. Havana is a good city, is protected and nobody is gonna make anything strange to u. Anywhere, read my 'Tourists Traps'. If uwant to take some taxi and enjoy our typical places and folklore, don't take governments taxis, try to get one of the older cars U'll see in the streets.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (105)
- See All Baseball
- See All Still wondering in Havana...more pics
- See All Still more about beaches in Havana....
- See All Restorant and music together
- See All About bringing gifts to Cuba
- See All CUC and cuban pesos...
russian_yaz's Related Pages
Havana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to HAVANA !!!! ;)"
- "Habana - La ciudad de las columnas"
- "Felt like going back in time..."
- "Balcon al Caribe"
- "The faded beauty of Havana"
- "CITY OF MY LIFE"
- "LA HABANA VIEJA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Havana
- Hotels in Havana
- Transportation in Havana
- Nightlife in Havana
- Restaurants in Havana
- Shopping in Havana
- Warnings and Dangers in Havana
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brookings Hotels
- Malveira da Serra Hotels
- Évreux Hotels
- Tustin Hotels
Badges & Stats in Havana
- 110 Reviews
- 145 Photos
- 65 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Havana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Havana
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 110 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca Intro, 75 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba Intro, 47 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 85 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balearic Islands Intro, 20 reviews, 75 photos, 6 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 9 reviews, 67 photos, 7 travelogues
- Sóller Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valldemosa Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Deyá Intro, 7 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Havana hotel reviews
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Hotel Horizontes Tropicoco
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Cubanacan Comodoro
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Ambos Mundos Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2006
- Daisy Castro Perez
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hostal Beltran de Santa Cruz
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 21, 2013
- Casa Particular Cuba Aleida Ravelo
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Park View
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hotel Nacional de Cuba
- 1289 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- La Casa de Ana
- 377 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Horizontes Lido
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Hotel Raquel
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Ambos Mundos
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Playas de Este - The Beaches- 12 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Habana Vieja - Old Havana- 42 Reviews, 68 Photos
- The Malecon- 34 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Plaza de la Revolution- 36 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Cigar Factories- 15 Reviews, 19 Photos
- El Capitolio- 39 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Castillo el Morro- 17 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Plaza de la Catedral - Cathedral Square- 13 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Museo de la Revolution - Revolution Museum- 21 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Catedral de San Cristobal- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
See All Havana Things to Do