"Topes de Collantes... a paradise on Earth" Topes de Collantes by russian_yaz

Topes de Collantes Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 22 photos

Topes de Collantes... a paradise on earth 17km from Trinidad in Villa Clara, around 300km from Havana, Cuba. U can get here by bus, car or simply hitch hiking. This last possibility I recomend it only for the most adventurers. U can get stuck in the highway more than one night, and really trust me, I know what I'm saying....

The place worth all the efforts. With a temperature of about 22 celcius in summer and less than 20 in winter is good to evade the high 33 celcius temperatures in Havana in summer. Rivers, waterfalls, fresh water everywhere, beatifull views, kind people and 3 different options to stay, particular houses or casas particulares in spanish, one hotel and a special aerea to place your tent if U have one and U're into bakcpacking.

It is located to the south of the Province of Sancti Spiritus, in the mountain range of Guamuhaya (historically known as Sierra del Escambray), 17km from Trinidad, declared world Heritage years ago.. The area is characterized by beautiful perennial vegetation with a great amount of outstanding species of orchids, muss, lichens and wonderful arborescent ferns, due to the existence of a climate with abundant precipitations. The fauna is rich in populations of birds and numerous species of invertebrates. Excursions are one of the best options to get acquainted with this natural area, which covers 12 494 hectares and has been declared a Protected National Landscape.

Going to around Cuba if U don't have enough money can be really an adventure. Here we are near Cienfuegos waiting for some transport to take us to Trinidad, 60km away. Can't walking because of the backpacks and the girls with us. After arriving to Trinidad still 17km to reach Topes deep inside the Escambray mountains.

If U need more info about travelling all around Cuba, check out my Distance and timing between major towns tip on my Cuba travel page.

Here we are in Topes, after more than one day hitch hiking on the higway. 300mt from this place U see in the photo is located a special place to camp. We use always our tents. If U plan to come here with tents, better watch out because if U catch teh rainy season and your tent is not prepared for that...U'll have a swimming pool and not a tent :) and that's not funny.

1km away is the Los Helechos hotel. Small and comfortable. Prices range from 25$ til 60$ depending on the season. It has bowling room, 2 cafeterias, one restorant and 2 billiards. I can't tell U anything about the rooms because I've never been guest here.

• Pros:Beatifull pleace, lovely people, cheap meals
  • Cons:If' U're looking for sun and beaches, this is not the place
  • In a nutshell:Paradise on Earth! Rivers and waterfalls!
  • Last visit to Topes de Collantes: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated May 19, 2006

russian_yaz

“...hate is an unnecessary bagage...life it's too short to feel hate...BE FUN!!”

Badges & Stats in Topes de Collantes

Have you been to Topes de Collantes?

Latest Activity in Topes de Collantes