"The land of fire and ice: Iceland" Iceland by Nexus7
Iceland Travel Guide: 6,151 reviews and 19,092 photos
Iceland, the home of my ancestors (well one quarter at least). This magical land is enchanted with beautiful people who are as interesting as they are nice. The land is almost alien, but all the same remarkably beautiful. It is easy to fall in love with this country if you don't mind the crazy weather, which I don't. The history is great and the culture is fascinating. If you're tired of the normal European countries, check this one out.
This history of this island goes back to about 874, I believe, when Irish monks first inhabited it and a few vikings from Norway. It was used as a penal colony briefly, until they realized that if you went to the other side of the island(where the glaciers and tundra are not located), it was actually quite green and lush with pleasant conditions. People began to settle it and in 930 created a form of democracy called the Allthingi, which still exists today. It has the record as the oldest existing democracy. It was independent until 1262 when the Scandinavian countries came under one rule and it was not granted independence again for over 600 years. There were numerous steps to independence from the 19th to the 20th centuries. Iceland had its own religious reformations such as the switch to Christianity aroudn 1000 or so and then the switch from Catholicism, which of course was bloody and now they are Luthern like the rest of Scandinavia countries. Now the country of nearly 300,000 people enjoys one of the highest standards of living in the world.
- Pros:Beautiful, fun, environmental, interesting
- Cons:Expensive, extremely seasonal
- In a nutshell:Iceland is more than an island, it's a another world.
This is the lake next to Thingvellir that is quite large and has many landscapes surrounding it, including a mountain in... more travel advice
This is just a picture my friend took of me through the sculpture from the intro page, except it's from the opposite... more travel advice
- Reykjavik mall
- sketchy place for foreigners
- Simply crazy....
- See All City scape of Reykjavik
Nexus7's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 30 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 30 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Porto Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galicia Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Lake Tahoe Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.