"The land of fire and ice: Iceland" Iceland by Nexus7

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,677 reviews and 17,046 photos

Do you believe in trolls, fairies and elves?

Iceland, the home of my ancestors (well one quarter at least). This magical land is enchanted with beautiful people who are as interesting as they are nice. The land is almost alien, but all the same remarkably beautiful. It is easy to fall in love with this country if you don't mind the crazy weather, which I don't. The history is great and the culture is fascinating. If you're tired of the normal European countries, check this one out.

This history of this island goes back to about 874, I believe, when Irish monks first inhabited it and a few vikings from Norway. It was used as a penal colony briefly, until they realized that if you went to the other side of the island(where the glaciers and tundra are not located), it was actually quite green and lush with pleasant conditions. People began to settle it and in 930 created a form of democracy called the Allthingi, which still exists today. It has the record as the oldest existing democracy. It was independent until 1262 when the Scandinavian countries came under one rule and it was not granted independence again for over 600 years. There were numerous steps to independence from the 19th to the 20th centuries. Iceland had its own religious reformations such as the switch to Christianity aroudn 1000 or so and then the switch from Catholicism, which of course was bloody and now they are Luthern like the rest of Scandinavia countries. Now the country of nearly 300,000 people enjoys one of the highest standards of living in the world.

• Pros:Beautiful, fun, environmental, interesting
  • Cons:Expensive, extremely seasonal
  • In a nutshell:Iceland is more than an island, it's a another world.
  • Last visit to Iceland: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2003

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 6:08 AM

Great page....LOVE your pictures!! My husband and I are going to Iceland in July, and I will definitely refer back to your pages for planning advice. :-)

• stfan's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM

I think you just got the wrong impression of the Sirkus bar actually! That bar is frequented by hollywood stars these days.. Icelandic people are usually quite friendly towards foreigners.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 2:30 AM

I enjoyed your page - we are off to Iceland in 4 weeks

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2004 at 8:28 AM

Beautiful place to be visited, but just watching it I felt the cold!

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2004 at 1:31 PM

wow, really fantastic page on iceland; some impressing pics! ...for some reason i also just love strolling thru residential areas btw and having a look at how ppl live etc. it is kinda interesting

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2004 at 7:01 PM

Great Icleand page and some very unique tips!! :) Iceland has always been a place of fascination for me; I surely must go there someday. You know, the Leif Ericson photos reminded me: there's a monument to him in my hometown, Cleveland. :)

• travelife's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2004 at 4:38 PM

Very helpful tips! I am sure you liked Iceland. I hope to go some day.

• Apr 7, 2004 at 5:51 AM

Great photos! I'm going to Iceland in a few weeks and can't wait.

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2004 at 2:25 PM

Nice page about Iceland. I had a great time over there some years ago. Greetings from Norway !

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2003 at 12:57 PM

if only all tourist traps were a great as the one in your tip....... really good photos and tips

Nexus7

“Seek knowledge, Be open minded, Dare yourself”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland