"Ancona and roundabout..." Ancona by lovecell
Ancona Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 367 photos
This is not Ancona, but Loreto,a town 15kms from Ancona,
it's a very beautiful and holy place, many visitors all over world come everyday...You should see it at night, when you are driving on the highway...the great Sanctuary is lighten all up...and it's truely a wonderful sight, something you can't ever forget, I hope to find, or make a picture of such delight...
High on a hill, dominating the sea, Loreto is a small city that lives solely for the "Santa Casa", one of the most famous and revered monuments of Christianity. According to tradition, it was the Virgin Mary's birth house, which up until that time was kept intact and venerated in Palestine, then flown by angels from Nazareth to the Adriatic Coast and set on a green hill of laurels on the night of December 10, 1294; hence the name Loreto.
Today, the historical hypothesis, more scientific but as equally impressive, is attributed to the Crusaders, who transported from the Holy Land the precious residence that since the 14th century has been a destination for believers from all over the world.
Thanks to the faith and the generosity of visiting princes and popes, the construction of the immense Sanctuary around Santa Casa, that lasted almost three centuries between modifications and decorating, was achieved by the greatest architects and artists of that time; from Sangallo, Bramante, Vanvitelli to painters and ceramists of the most noted renaissance schools.
Nevertheless, whether for myth or reality, today Loreto offers a wide range of interests and events to those who visit: sublime sacred occasions, priceless treasures of art, museums, tourist and artistic itineraries, exhibitions and international musical shows and events.
..the first time I came here, to Italy...I was very young, and I had a very sad face...I hope it won't be the same for... more travel advice
Ehhhh! who whats to marry me in this lovely sunset scenery!!!!???? This old villa, full of plants and trees...is very... more travel advice
lovecell's Related Pages
Ancona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A happy accident"
- "Ancona - Forgotten city on the Adriatic"
- "Ancona, a door open on the Adriatic"
- "Ancona - daytrip to an important harbour town"
- "Ancona - back in the base..."
- "FinElina's new Ancona Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ancona
- Hotels in Ancona
- Transportation in Ancona
- Nightlife in Ancona
- Restaurants in Ancona
- Shopping in Ancona
- Warnings and Dangers in Ancona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ancona
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Ancona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ancona
Photos in AnconaSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Italy Intro, 11 reviews, 83 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ancona Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Civitanova Marche Intro, 3 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Argentina Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- France Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Venice Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Australia Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Düsseldorf 4 reviews, 4 photos