"Land Cruisers and Gold" Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar by hjohnso4
Qatar Travel Guide: 732 reviews and 2,081 photos
UPDATE: I recently returned to Doha after a three year absence and was amazed by the changes. In anticipation of the 2006 Asian Games Qatar is suffering a building boom as hasn't been since the 1970s. The New Doha is quite remarkable: a few nightclubs and bars have opened; traffic has increased threefold; the number of namebrand shops has doubled. I could go on. Having recently completed a multi-billion dollar natural gas infrastructure project, the money is rolling into the country and the air is heavy with the sound of 'investment.' A downside is that whatever traditional architecture has survived the wrecking crane so far will likely disapear.
Qatar is a fascinatingly dull country. Unless your idea of a good time is lounging about 5-star hotel lobbies, or driving Land Cruisers to the mall, you shouldn't visit.
Little known fact: Qatar has a 'slave' economy. Workers are 'imported' from India. Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and the Phillipines, to name a few, are paid perhaps $200/month and are housed, worked and treated rather poorly, to say the least. This is the case in all of the Petroleum States of the Arabian Gulf. Building booms are not possible without cheap labor.
Even the Desert, which covers the entire country, is marginal and unexceptional. Go to the UAE or Oman if desert adventure and impressive sand dunes are what you are after.
Qatar is sitting on the largest known natural gas deposit and will sooun be wealthier than Kuwait. The gilded, nouveau-riche, vulgarity will only spread...
- Pros:Excellent, Tax-Free Income
- In a nutshell:Worth a Try
To date there are no public buses in Doha. Taxis are the standard mode of transportation in town, and are quite cheap.... more travel advice
The City Center Mall is as modern, if not more so, as anything you will find in Europe or the US. It boasts the usual... more travel advice
hjohnso4's Related Pages
Qatar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DOHA - Is it Boring to be there ?"
- "Qatar - There IS more than just Doha!"
- "Land Cruisers and Gold"
- "Playing Qatari Atari"
- "My First Middle East Assignment"
- "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qatar
- Hotels in Qatar
- Transportation in Qatar
- Nightlife in Qatar
- Restaurants in Qatar
- Shopping in Qatar
- Warnings and Dangers in Qatar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qatar
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Qatar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qatar
Photos in QatarSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tikrit Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maymyo Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mongolia Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riyadh Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandalay Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bahrain Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos