"A Little Corner of England" Maymyo by hjohnso4
Maymyo Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 46 photos
Maymyo is in the mountains about 2 hours east of humid Mandalay. The British built an extensive military base there after the 2nd Anglo-Burmese war in 1886 that is now the Burmese equivalent of West Point or Sandhurst. Though occupied by the Japanese in Word War II, little was damaged and the town is a pastische of Southern England. Imagine winding lanes bordered by graceful trees and english and scottish(the Scots were a high percentage of the expats who developed Burma) country homes. It is a most divine and relaxing spot that you would hardly imagine could be in Asia. Little has changed architecturally since the British left in 1948 and the presence of the Burmese army has kept most of the town in fine shape.
Of special note: A large Pakistani and Afghani population. They can be found throughout Burma, are visibly dominant in Maymyo. Their grandfathers and great grandfathers came over with the British and stayed after the war. You will find those who speak excellent English and remember the "golden days" of Burma. A 100 year old mosque on the main street is evidence of their long presence. Consider that they make up the second largest group of Pathans outside of their homeland in the world. Those hundrdes of thousands in the Arabian Gulf countries claim first place.
As a 'hill station', Maymyo puts it's now overdeveloped sister stations in India and Malaysia to shame.
- Pros:Great Architecture. Perfect Weather. History
- In a nutshell:Georgeous
Excellent. Pleasant Service. They do a great Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, as they have for nearly a... more travel advice
This 100 year old mosque serves the high number of Afghani and Pakistani Muslims in Maymyo. I did not ask to go inside,... more travel advice
hjohnso4's Related Pages
Maymyo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Little Corner of England"
- "visit to waterfall"
- "Pyin Oo Lwin"
- "Memoriable days in Pyin Oo Lwin (or) May Myo"
- "Town with flowers and fall is Maymyo(Pyin Oo Lwin)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maymyo
- Hotels in Maymyo
- Transportation in Maymyo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maymyo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maymyo
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Maymyo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maymyo
Photos in MaymyoSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tikrit Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maymyo Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mongolia Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riyadh Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mandalay Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bahrain Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos