"Manaus" Manaus by abusch
Manaus Travel Guide: 300 reviews and 846 photos
Manaus is the jump point for those wanting to visit the Amazon jungle. From there you can take cruises along the Amazon river, depart to Parintins, take the boat to the jungle lodges or fishing trips.
The city itself has few attractions besides the Teatro Amazonas (Manaus Opera House), built in the end of the 19th century, during the golden era of the rubber trade in Northern Brazil. The theater were supported by european businessman, who help to bring to Brazil English stones, Italian marble and French tiles.
Other atractions include the City Market, an art nouveau building where you can find some indigenous crafts and the river beachs all along the branchs of the Rio Negro. In Ponta Negra beach there are lots of bars and restaurantes, full of young people.
Many interesting river cruises depart from Manaus. One of the most interesting is the "Encontro das Águas", a place where the dark water of the Rio Negro (Black River) encounter the clay water of the Rio Solimões. The waters never mix, because of the difference of temperatura between the two rivers.
This phenomena inspired the architects who project Manaus Opera House: in the hall the floor is built in white marble and black jacaranda (a kind of wood).The whole trip takes 7 hours and in the way it`s very likely that you can see pink river dolphins swimming besides the boat.
The Manauaras (people from Manaus)
abusch's Related Pages
Manaus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worth the Trek."
- "The city I live"
- "MANAUS, Mother of the gods…"
- "The Great Mother"
- "What is happiness, my love…."
- "River City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manaus
- Hotels in Manaus
- Transportation in Manaus
- Nightlife in Manaus
- Restaurants in Manaus
- Shopping in Manaus
- Warnings and Dangers in Manaus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manaus
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Manaus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manaus
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 13 travelogues
- Chile Intro, 1 review, 22 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Parintins Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Laos Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yokohama Intro, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Matsumoto Intro, 13 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kanazawa Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 11 photos, 5 travelogues
- The Bahamas Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue