"Bright lights and many motorcycles!" Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu by sugarpuff

Chengdu Travel Guide: 617 reviews and 1,619 photos

'Where do I go from here?'

I first came to Chengdu,capital of Sichuan Province in January 1999. I was travelling around the country with my roommate and Chengdu was our second stop. To be honest, we didn't think much of it. I dusty city, very cold and an unwelcoming bed in a hotel to go back to at the end of each day. We lived near the river which was constantly polluted and the bus station which was dirty, dusty and noisy. The only good thing was the cafe down the road which tried its best to copy western food. Why didnt I eat Chinese food I hear you ask? Well, we couldnt find anywhere that didnt look like it was infested with some creature or another! Looking back now, I realise we were just in the wrong area, because Chengdu the second time round was wonderful! And given the chance, I'll go right back! Theres not so much to do in the city that you cant do anywhere else in China, but she stands as a great entry and exit point to many small paradises around her. From the map, you can see exactly what I mean. Only a few hours away are glaciers, nature reserves and Giant Buddhas...what more could you want?!

My 'on the train' thoughts!?

Well here I am, my fourth time in China getting on yet another train to go have fun somewhere. If only places weren't so far away, or if when they put 'T' (te kuai = very fast)on the train ticket before the number of the train, it DOESNT go very fast!!! Why lie to me..I could ride faster on a bicycle than you do by taking me on a train. The only good thing about trains is that you don't get as exhausted as you would if you were to ride for 26hours across the country! Although I must say that buying tickets from the train is somewhat exhausting all right! Fortunately for myself and my friends, I have a lovely Chinese friend (VT member SEESEA) whos father works for the train station and can thereby come across tickets fairly easily when there is a national rush for them. Big thanks to Janice's father!!!!

So here I am on the train........once again, looking out the window at all the wonderful sights passing me by! These are the things that I will remember the most about the trips Ive taken across China....not the high rise buildings which seemt o be cropping up in every city these days, but the individuality of these thrid world villages I pass through, or the women I see working hard in the fields. These are the images which Im sure will stay in most people's heads long after they've finished their trip. The hills, mountains, streams, pagodas dotting the horizon, mud huts, cattle Ive never seen before in my life, people who've never seen the likes of ME before and signs everywhere saying 'whether you give birth to a girl or a boy, both are ok, both are equal'. Well, if you need to put those signs up in the beginning, you know its here, that the problem first occurred!

Bowling should be an Olympic sport!

In Chengdu city, very close to the city centre you'll see a big bowling pin on top of a building lighting the way to a very exciting night! At only 5 yuan a game between the hours of 10pm and 1am, who could say no!?
Not I, thats for sure!

You've got to love this poster though!

Apart from a bowling alley, this place also had ping pong tables, pool tables and an air hockey table. It was so much fun and the prices for each game were very reasonable! The photo was taken just after I beat Charles 5-1 at ping pong!!! Poor boy..beaten by a girl!!!

• Pros:The spicy hotpots just about everyone is indulging in!
  • Cons:The sandy muddy streets after a downpour.
  • In a nutshell:A meeting point branching out to various paradises.
  • Last visit to Chengdu: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2005

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 8:14 AM

HI! it's been awhile......I'm trying to recall, I think my group changed planes in Chengdu, but I know we didn't stay here, so a virtual tour is very nice!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Certainly is a colossal Buddha! I wouldn't stand in a queue for that long either. I love the Pandas, have just seen some at Chiang Mai, watched them for ages.

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 4:56 AM

another great page...always wondered where this great budda was..have seen many photos of it..thanx for sharing pics and tips..cheers Denny

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 6:08 AM

great tips!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Funny history lesson, I just hope the people recover from the earthquake ASAP

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Those pandas are cute. Maybe I should start saving some money for that panda cub pic.

• Jun 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM

There are many "hotpots" in Chengdu, some great, some terrible. Easiest way to find a good one is go near the city center or look for lots of local people, always a good sign. Be careful, what someone from Sichuan thinks is spicy will kill a westerner!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 2:46 AM

I WILL get to Chengdu and see the pandas!! thanks for your nice collection of pics.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2005 at 11:42 PM

Nice stories. Entertaining to read...

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 7:50 PM

Very entertaining page, Victoria. I someday intend to visit China. Sorry to hear of "chicken's" demise. Greetings from Florida!

sugarpuff

“Smell the spices, see the smiles and hear the laughter and whisperings of the locals.”

Badges & Stats in Chengdu

Have you been to Chengdu?