"What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned?" Hangzhou by sugarpuff

Hangzhou Travel Guide: 621 reviews and 1,839 photos

Hangzhou Hangzhou...what could I add that other VT members have not already commented on....the pristine toilets at The Shangrila Hotel? The way in which the bats flew above the West Lake every night as if in search of red blooded prey? The dragonflies which swooped along the water by day?The Chinese tourists who continually stared at us as if we were from another planet? Or what about the expensive cafes which line the lake? Or the great little noodle place we came across who was fighting for our custom? Perhaps the upper class restaurant called 'Lou Wai Lou' which was too busy for us to find a table at? The wonderful novelty of being able to hire a camera for just 20RMB for the whole day as you cruise along the Lake? Chinese people wanting to take photos of you with them as if we were celebrities..or maybe it was the alien thing again..?

There was so much to be seen at Hangzhou if you looked closely. I can see that now..but at the time that I was there, I just looked at it as another Chinese city trying to get tourism by advertising the West Lake. It's true to say that the city isn't pretty as such, but there seem to be dotted on every mountain and hilltop a pagoda of some sort, and as I learnt afterwards when we were soon leaving back for Beijing, to enter all these sites is FREE! The Government decided that in order to get tourism, it was better to abolish the fee system..it certainly seems to have worked!

• Pros:Of course, the beautiful lake...and cheap hotels!
  • Cons:Just another Chinese city....getting pricier by the day!
  • Last visit to Hangzhou: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2005

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 10:41 PM

Nice little Hangzhou page, of course the main highlight is the West Lake and good tips about transportation you gave. Take care.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Victoria, this is quite lovely. I enjoyed your comprehensive tips with lots good, helpful information. Your insights are great.

• we2364's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 6:34 AM

You haven't told me about more interesting and funny experience on the train :-) Let life find you a Shangarila...

• honestjohn's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2005 at 6:14 PM

I returned from Hangzhou and get back Shanghai. I am happy for having offered help to you to get the tickets when I was in Hangzhou. It's really my pleasure.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 10:03 PM

A city with a big lake...I guessed Wuxi but Hangzhou isn't that far off. Glad to see Chinese tourists recognize you as a TV celebrity. Maybe I'll see your framed photo in some Anhui farmer's home.

sugarpuff

“Smell the spices, see the smiles and hear the laughter and whisperings of the locals.”

Badges & Stats in Hangzhou

Have you been to Hangzhou?