"What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned?" Hangzhou by sugarpuff
Hangzhou Travel Guide: 621 reviews and 1,839 photos
Hangzhou Hangzhou...what could I add that other VT members have not already commented on....the pristine toilets at The Shangrila Hotel? The way in which the bats flew above the West Lake every night as if in search of red blooded prey? The dragonflies which swooped along the water by day?The Chinese tourists who continually stared at us as if we were from another planet? Or what about the expensive cafes which line the lake? Or the great little noodle place we came across who was fighting for our custom? Perhaps the upper class restaurant called 'Lou Wai Lou' which was too busy for us to find a table at? The wonderful novelty of being able to hire a camera for just 20RMB for the whole day as you cruise along the Lake? Chinese people wanting to take photos of you with them as if we were celebrities..or maybe it was the alien thing again..?
There was so much to be seen at Hangzhou if you looked closely. I can see that now..but at the time that I was there, I just looked at it as another Chinese city trying to get tourism by advertising the West Lake. It's true to say that the city isn't pretty as such, but there seem to be dotted on every mountain and hilltop a pagoda of some sort, and as I learnt afterwards when we were soon leaving back for Beijing, to enter all these sites is FREE! The Government decided that in order to get tourism, it was better to abolish the fee system..it certainly seems to have worked!
- Pros:Of course, the beautiful lake...and cheap hotels!
- Cons:Just another Chinese city....getting pricier by the day!
A great activity during the day and evening. Except I didnt actully get to do it as during the day was way too hot and... more travel advice
I asked a couple of people if they knew if this lake like the one in Beijing,The Summer Palace, was man-made? Their... more travel advice
sugarpuff's Related Pages
Hangzhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H A N G Z H O U - its a heaven on earth!"
- "Maria's Hangzhou"
- "Hangzhou, one of the most beautiful citie in China"
- "breathing. flying. relaxing in the poem city"
- "If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha"
- "Hangzhou and the most famous lake in China"
- "City of heaven..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hangzhou
- Hotels in Hangzhou
- Transportation in Hangzhou
- Nightlife in Hangzhou
- Restaurants in Hangzhou
- Shopping in Hangzhou
- Warnings and Dangers in Hangzhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hangzhou
- 9 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Hangzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hangzhou
- Posted in Travel Ronda Forum "Re: From Morocco to ..."
- Wrote a Review The West Lake...of course! in Hangzhou Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drifting along The West Lake"
- updated a Hangzhou Travel Page "What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned?"
- Commented on one of tremendopunto's Hangzhou travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 66 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 39 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 23 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Tao Intro, 25 reviews, 71 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Lijiang Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos